Corvium

Mare's POV

Only one day passed and I already wanted to jump out of the train. Maybe just roll down in the way of the tracks. From the carriage, we walked to the train. Hand in hand, disgustingly holding them for the reporters. Maven's hold was tight on my hand. Still in the same room with Maven, how lucky I am. Well not right now. I'm looking at the nature behind the window. Thinking how am I supposed to get out when the glass is bulletproof. Maven is somewhere in another room talking to only God knows who.

The doors burst open. When Maven stepped in I just stared at him. Speak of the devil and he shall appear. I knew my eyes must've looked dead. I also knew that the dark circles under my eyes didn't scream well-rested either. Yesterday we had one stop at a factory. I've wanted to scream at Maven that he makes red his slaves. He pretended he didn't but that was all a lie. From that moment I wanted to slam his head on the wall. And it felt like this overwhelming need I just couldn't shut down.

"We will stop at Corvium soon, so get ready!'' I just nodded, not in the mood to talk to him. And as he said, the train stopped and I almost fell off my chair. The driver seriously needed lessons. Maven was standing in front of the door waiting for me to take his hand. Reluctantly I did and a cold shiver went down my spine. It was nothing like before, that my mind felt safe with him. Instead, I felt utterly disgusted with him.

We stepped out and I took a deep breath my posture rigid. I was smiling like it could keep me alive. When we turned to look at some reds who were waving at us, my vision blurred. My ears registered the sound of shooting. Someone started shooting. It happened so fast that I almost couldn't comprehend it. People were shouting over each other. Complete chaos followed. I was immediately covered by guards and led to the train. Everything happened in slow motion as they dragged me to safety. I glanced over my shoulder and saw the flags of the Scarlet Guard. All I've wanted to do was run and scream I'm here. Scream for Cal that I'm scared he will leave without me.

In a second I saw fire everywhere. People were screaming falling to the ground. Blood was everywhere. I stopped and couldn't move. This is too much. Maven grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers. I tried to tuck my hand away but I felt so weak. Without my powers, I was just a pawn in the game.

"We have to go now!" I took a step back but my eyes were locked with his. The guard next to him fell to the floor blood gurgled from his throat. Someone was screaming my name. I turned around but the man stepped in my view. I looked up into his face and then immediately regretted it. Samson took a step further to me. His gaze not leaving mine. His eyes held me hostage. And then I felt the pain in my brain going through my back straight to my eyes. The words were like swords cutting through 'get in the train'!

Again and again repeating the same over and over again. I was trying to fight, to resist. I've heard them screaming my name. But then my body just turned around even tho my mind was screaming. My mind was pushing to stop but my legs kept moving. I took Mavens' hand and got on the train. When the door locked behind us I fell to the ground. I was breathing heavily and I saw droplets of blood covering the floor. I touched my nose and looked at the blood on my hand. I looked at Maven as he took a step back, I knew that my eyes were filled with anger, filled with burning rage. He dismissed Samson who gave me a victorious smile. He forced me to get on this train and I will make him pay. The train started moving and I couldn't help a tear escape my eye. Maven picked me up like a child and sat me on the bed. When he sat beside me I almost punched him. My hand was shaking.

"Everything will be fine, Cal thinks he can turn people against me, but with you by my side, he won't stand a chance!" All I could do was just look at him with a blank look. Everyone wanted me as a symbol and I really had enough of it. I have a very bad feeling about this statement and his tone sent shivers down my body.

"Now lie down and get some sleep you will need it for tomorrow."With that, he just left me alone in our room. Alone with my killing thoughts. With the demons inside my head.

Cal's POV

She just left with him! Left all of us behind! We were shooting and fighting for her! People were dying for her! My mind spiraled.

When she got on the train and the men turned I knew we had to save her. It was Samson, he locked the door behind them. I thought it was some soldier but it was him. He controlled her mind, forcing her to step on the train. In a second each member of Scarlet Guard was running back. We were forced to flee like cowards, just because of Willis's commands. I wanted Samson's blood. Heading to the woods to have a better camouflage. Kilorn and I were walking next to each other. This pain for the same person made us closer. Both of us had our heads down and the new blooded were blaming each other for failing.

"Do you think we will get another chance?!" Kilorn broke the quiet. But his voice wasn't above a whisper. I took a deep breath not knowing the answer.

But my answer was hopeful, "Yes I think we will." He sighed and looked at his feet.

"What if she will be forced to say yes?!" He asked the obvious question that had been hanging around the camp all day.

"I will never let that happen," this answer I knew for sure. I will never give up. I would rather give up my life than ever let hers be taken. In two days Evangeline's wedding will be happening. After that, there was a rumor that King Maven wanted to ask the lightning girl for her hand. How could my brother think she would marry him voluntarily was beyond me. I for sure knew she would be forced by him, well more by Samson. When I will get the chance I will burn him with all of my rage. We finally made it to the planes. When everybody was sat at their place we could finally leave. I wanted to get away from this failure as far as possible.

When we managed to get to the headquarters Willis looked like he would explode.

Not only because he looked red as a tomato, but because he was waving his hands and punching into everything. Or maybe it was because of the vein pumping in the middle of his forehead. We all listened to his yelling until my grandma walked into the room. It was surprising to all of us I could guess. Maybe even to me because I didn't expect her to come here. She hugged me and then turned to Willis, her voice commanding, "I will help but only under one condition!" Willis nodded at her to go on. Interested.

"My grandson will be given the throne of Norta." All of us stared at her, even me. I didn't know this was in the plan. All I asked for was to have Mare back. I begged for it even.

"We will save Mare Barrow, and then Cal can be the king that will change history." Willis probably wanted to say that I can play on it. Yes with the crown I could change a lot of things, but what about her? I didn't want to do it without her anymore. Will she want to become a queen for me?

"And what will be with Mare?" I asked before I could stop myself. Everything was about her in my mind. Everyone was looking at me now.

My grandmother answered with confusion laced in her voice, "What with her?" My grandma asked confusion written all over her face. Say it my mind was yelling. I blinked before throwing it out.

"I love her and I want her with me." It was all out in the open. I cursed silently at my grandmother's look.

"You will marry one of the silver ladies. That's the plan since you were born" She said without hesitation. I knew it would have a catch.

I felt like a child about ready to stomp his foot, "Well what if I want her?!" Even my voice sounded whiny to my ears. But since I joined the Scarlet guard I felt at least a little free. I felt as if I held the reins to my life for the first time and I wanted to keep it that way.

"And what if she wouldn't want to become a queen?!" I squinted my eyes at her. This discussion was just stupid.

It all just went down to one thing. "Well, we can ask her when we save her!" With that, I stood up and left the room. I know Mare doesn't want to be a queen. But she will do it for me, right? Or will I have to let the crown go for her? Give up the thing I was born for. That everyone wanted me to be destined for.

Finally, I made it. Here is another chapter. I will try to upload another till Saturday, but school is hectic lately, so sorry this chapter sucks.
***
Finally, another one edited.