Chapter 7

One minute we were fast asleep the next I was being woken by a large thumping from my front door. I opened my eyes and was shocked to see Jace in the corner of the bedroom, in a foetal position as he rocked back and forth, his head buried into his knees. I yawned and sat up quickly, keeping my eyes on Jace.

 "What's wrong?" I whispered to him and he lifted his head up to look at me, his eyes red to show that he'd been crying. I got up and sat down beside him, wrapping my arm around his shoulder. "Why have you been crying Jacey?" I asked again and he sniffled, his eyes tearing up as we heard another bang against the front door.

 "Th-they're here.. M-m-my mum.." He whispered as he silently began to cry, burying his head back into his knees. "Th-they f-found me.." He muttered and I knew this really wasn't good at all. I was going to have to get rid of these people at my door somehow without raising suspicion. I needed to think of a plan, and fast.

 "Jacey.. I'm not going to let them hurt you, I promise." I whispered, and he nodded slightly. "I have a plan but you have to do exactly as I say." He looked at me once again and nodded a sign of relief in his eyes as he realized that I was going to try to get him out of this situation. "So, I'm gonna go to the front door and deny all knowledge-" but I was disrupted by another bang on the door so I started again. "Climb through the bathroom window, climb down the fire escape and head to my car. I'll give you the keys and I need you to hide in there whilst I distract them." He nodded and I got up, walking over to my jeans to grab my car keys. He got up too and started to get dressed, shaking as he did so, and I began to get dressed quickly as well, before handing him the keys. "I'll be as quick as I can." And with that I kissed his soft wet lips gently before heading towards the front door to put all the banging and thumping to an end.

 I opened the door and stood in front of me was one policeman with a woman beside her, who looked like she'd been crying. She was cursing under her breath multiple times as she looked at me. She lurched forward to grab me but the policeman pulled her back by wrists, causing her to curse again.

 "What can I do for you today? PC...” I looked at his police badge that he was showing to me. "Rogers."

 "May we come in?" I nodded hesitantly and opened the door, allowing them to come through. They walked in and sat down on the couch, whilst I sat down on the arm chair, watching their every move.

 "Mr Parker, this woman has reasons to believe that her son, Jace Witt, is here in this apartment, after disappearing for 4 days. We have tracked down his mobile phone and it has directed us to this address so if he is here, would you be so kind as to tell us, so that we can take him back to his mother, who as you can see if very worried about her son’s well-being, as much as any parent would." Oh god, think of something. Anything is better than nothing, and getting him hurt.

 "He was here about 2 nights ago. I saw him on the streets and I offered to let him stay. He came back to mine and stayed the night, and left really early the next morning. He left his phone here though. I'm guessing that's how you tracked him to being here, because he left without it. I'm surprised it's not dead actually." I nodded, trying to convince them that what I was saying was the truth. He looked me up at down and his mother was looking down at the floor, muttering things under her breath every so often, and I didn't catch anything that she said. I looked at the policeman once again, and he stared back at me.

 "Well, do you mind if I have a quick look around your apartment? I won't be long but I want to do a thorough job before we continue our investigation."

 "No I don't mind." I tried visualizing my entire apartment in my head, trying to remember if there were any of Jace's belongings out on show, but I don't think there was. The policeman got up, leaving me and Jace's mother on our own, and her eyes suddenly shot to mine.