The audition

Skylar’s POV

The life of senior high was around the corner, and I was basking in the sun of spring with Julian, my best friend from childhood.

"I'm going to be a high school student; I wonder how my high school life is going to be?"

"Well, high school... it’s probably just lessons, club activities and dates." Julian answered for me.

"Dates... Dates... I've never thought about it before..." I murmured, but it sounded like a whisper but apparently Julian must have heard because suddenly, Julian came to a quick stop.

"Of course, I can always be your date" he said.

"Sheeesh, there you go again!" Though he looks serious, he has ~confessed~ to me several times in this manner beforehand.

"I doubt anyone will treat you like a girl, even in senior high.." Julian blurted out.

"That's nonsense!" I shouted while trying to hide my insecurities. Am I really not that girly? Even for Julian?

The poster of Star Light Academy appeared before us, while we were walking down the rows of cherry blossoms trees with the petals dancing around us.

~ HISTORICAL FIRST RECRUITMENT! We want students of all talents regardless of their nationalities! Once you pass our entrance exam, all your tuitions will be free and paid for! Start from here, and fly to the world! ~

The poster also included the three male students who have been admitted to the academy next year.

"Wow, what a school!"

The poster with those three students is displayed next to advertisement.

Ryder Richwood ACCEPTED for his composition "Seasons" -  He has been learning music as a child and has shown exceptional talents in piano, composition and conducting, which made him the youngest winner in America's national music contest.

Michael Brown ACCEPTED for his "irresistible charm" - He has won several violin awards throughout his childhood, and he has the most anticipated fabulous voice in the entertainment business.

Hunter Ford ACCEPTED for his sports record obtained for America - A top student in all subjects, an all-rounder in sports, and is the rising star in the swimming world.

"Sorry, I just realized I've got something to do!" hearing Julian's voice, I looked at him.

"What is it all of a sudden?"

"I have an interview for a part-time job. I must go." he ran away quickly as soon as he finished the sentence.

I was left alone... I read the poster again.

"It seems different than those ordinary high schools... it says there is a chance for free tuition, perhaps I should give it a try!"

I didn't expect that such an arbitrary decision would lead to an abrupt change. I followed the school directory to the examination hall. There are those who seemed to be examiners sitting at the front of the hall.

"Ah, you are one of the examinees, right?" one of them noticed me and ushered me onto the stage.

"What is your name?" they asked as I stood on their big stage that could resemble an opera theatre. It was that big! Even though I was nervous and shaking from head to toe, I gathered all my courage and tried to introduce myself as less shaky as possible.

"Hello, I am Skylar Thompson." Phew.. My voice came out right.

"Very well, Miss Thompson, what kind of talent are you going to demonstrate for us?"

"I'm going to sing!" That's right, I don't know what kind of talent I've got, but I do like singing. Besides, I have always wanted to sing in a hall like this. I told them the name of the song and started singing loudly. It is good to sing, because you can pass your feelings to others easily... I've completely forgotten it was an exam, so I sang with full relaxation without a care in the world. However, when I finished, the whole hall fell silent.

Was it because this is an exam? No, that shouldn't be the reason..

I suddenly felt shy again, so I quickly ran off the stage, and looked for the nearest exit to get away. At that moment, one of the examiners ran to me in a hurry and grabbed my arm.

"Miss, you've passed the exam!" he was holding his knees from running and panting like he just ran from a marathon.

"What?!" I was clearly shocked but then again, deep inside. I was doing summer saults and smiling from ear to ear.

My parents agreed to let me enrol in the school after hearing about the waiver... I caught up with the entrance ceremony right on time when the speech of the principal began.

"Ladies and gentleman, welcome to Star Light Academy. You've all passed the extremely difficult entrance exam, and you are still talented young men and women! You're all unpolished gems! For that, we will be doing everything and anything in our power to make you shine! You shall do your best to hone your skills and become the brightest shining star in the world, the pride of America! And after your graduation, no, starting at this moment, please, spread your wings and fly to the world!

 The pride of our country? Fly to the world? This sounds a bit too much for me...

But I guess these are the common speeches one will hear in any high school entrance ceremony. I looked around; my talented schoolmates were all nodding with agreement as though everything said were meant for them.

I actually passed the exam... I wonder if this is a mistake or not?

What will become of my life in this academy?