Healing Voice

Ryder continued to dance silently without words. Although we have been talking a lot after school, our topics are only limited to music. I guess he didn't recognize who I am. Ryder stopped suddenly while I was contemplating.

Hmm? What's wrong?

His eyes pierced through my mask.

"Your foot disturbs me." he said.

I looked at my feet and realized my foot was on his. I didn't realize this because I was busy thinking. I lowered my head in a hurry to make sure I'm not stepping on Ryder. Perhaps I didn't step on him anymore, 'cause Ryder kept on dancing in silence.

Finally, the music for the dance is over. Looks like Ryder was my last partner for the dance. I did a curtsy to him slowly. When I wanted to look up, I realized Ryder was already gone.

He's cold as usual...

I went to the wings of the stage feeling a little irritated. The principal of the academy, Principal John, is already on the stage with a microphone in his hand.

"I'd like to introduce our wonderful songstress."

Yes, it's time for me to get on the stage.

I must calm myself and forget about Ryder.

I took a deep breath and rehearsed the lyrics of 'Summer' and 'Autumn' in my mind quickly. Just doing that, my heart feels warm and fuzzy.

"Please listen to her songs. The songs in which her voice healed the souls of the people in the disaster area." Principal John continued to formally introduce me.

I didn't expect my songs can heal a lot of people, but I felt really pleased knowing what had happened. I smiled and walked onto the stage. The first song was 'Summer' and then followed by 'Autumn'. The hall was filled with my voice. When I finished singing, there was a great round of applause. I felt relieved knowing that I have successfully delivered the songs. It was a kind of happiness that I have never experienced before. I went to the backstage pleased with my performance; as I climb down the stairs leading to the backstage, I saw Ryder was waiting for me there. He looked excited compared to the cold attitude he had earlier.

W-what's going on?

I never thought Ryder was waiting for me blushing... I was surprised by what I am seeing before me, and I lose my balance.

"Watch out!" Ryder called out.

He caught me in his arms. The first thing that I see when I opened my eyes was Ryder's face. He is still blushing. I could feel him breathing. Even though it's a short moment, it feels like a century. When I wanted to thank him, Ryder lifted me up gently with his arms.

Hmm?

I couldn't resist Ryder because his actions were too gentle as I cling on to him more. He is still holding me and starts to lean forward and whispered into my ears and said...

"Thank you..."

Thank you? Why?

Ryder released me from his arms the moment I wondered why.

"Ryder! What are you doing?!" Julian suddenly came out of nowhere.

It seems Julian just caught what had happened. I cried when I realized Julian is about to punch Ryder's face.

Why is this happening?

I could feel that my mask is getting in the way, so I took it off. Then Ryder stared at me with his eyes wide open.

Ryder?

When Ryder was about to say something to me, Hunter got between the two.

"You two, why are you quarrelling?" he said.

Hunter who is looking surprised, didn't realize my existence. He separated the two from one another.

"Alright, come on now. Let's go!" Hunter said. And with that Ryder left with him.

Ryder, what did you want to say?

Seeing my mask which was taken off, I sighed. Then Julian held me softly from behind.

"Why didn't you say no to him?" he asked me.

"What do you mean?" I retorted back. However, Julian held me and said nothing further.

I'm just like a child... I couldn't do anything, I just stood there motionless.

"Hey you two, get over here as well!" Hunter called for us.

Julian left me as soon as he heard Hunter's voice.

"Erm... Julian..."

"Let's go" he said, as if nothing had happened.

Saying so, he held my hand and started to walk. Julian's hand is warm.

But I didn't feel the spark unlike when Ryder held my hands. It was a different feeling altogether.

Ryder, why did you do such a thing to me?

-The next morning-

"Achooooo!" I sneezed loudly, and my throat hurts.

I think I've caught a cold. I guess it's probably because of the dress that I wore during the masquerade. The design of the dress was pretty, but its winter and felt cold indoors during the masquerade... However, the symptoms for the cold didn't appear during New Year's Day...

As a result, I've fallen as soon as the new semester has started...

I sighed and looked out the window.

I've hurt my throat, despite the fact that I got into this academy with my voice...

I haven't been singing for days...

Singing has become a daily routine, and it feels like a torture knowing that I can't sing. I feel depressed. What should I do if I have lost my voice from now on?