Common Interest

The library of the academy is an excellent facility. There are a lot of specialized books about music. I remembered that I have to look up something, so I stopped by the library to check it out. Looking around every isle of shelves with books in it, I reached out when I found the book I want. Just them, a series of other books fell onto me.

Oh, no!

Involuntarily, protecting my head, I closed my eyes.

But...

It doesn't hurt?

When I opened my eyes slightly, those books that were supposed to fall on me are suspended. Instead, I found two long legs standing in front of me. When I looked up, Ryder held almost every book not to drop them on my head.

"Didn't you go home?"

"Well, I remembered there's something I have to look for..." I explained.

Ryder pushed the books back to where they belong and ask me which book with his eyes.

"Brahms'..."

The moment I said so, Ryder pulled out Brahms' book quickly.

"Is this what you have been looking for?"

"Yes, T-thank you." I nervously thanked him. Why am I always nervous around him? Maybe because this time he had glasses on him, he looks different but it made him much more mature and handsome that without the glasses.

"Do you like Brahms?" he asked, making me snapped my head out of my dream bubble.

"Yes! I choose him for the topic of my report because he is my favourite composer." I said excitedly, I can't help it.

"Hmmm..." Hesitating a little, Ryder opened his mouth to say something.

"I like Brahms too."

"Really?" Oh my, we have the same interest in composers.

"Yeah, he is serious. He is a composer of classical music, so people have an impression that his music is formal and serious. Actually, however, he is just a commoner."

"Wow, you know him very well! But it is a little surprising for me to know that you like Brahms."

"Is it so?"

"I thought you'd prefer genius composers because your father is also like that." Hearing those words, Ryder broke in with a touch of sullenness.

"I will be a commoner. I want to compose tunes moving everyone's heart." And then I recall seeing him composing songs earlier. I see, so that's what Ryder has been thinking about all along. His image as a genius and a difficult person has changed in my heart, and I feel that I can get along with him.

"Ryder..."

"Call my..."

"What?" I said giving him a confused look.

"Call my name once again..."

"Eh?" I nodded after being surprised by his words.

It's not that we're being especially friendly to each other, but this alone makes me happy.

I try to speak more with Ryder ever since that day.

After that, the number of times I go to the music room increased.

"What do you think about this song?" he asked me while playing the piano.

"This melody has the sweetness just like the first love." I answered.

"So... How about this?" Ryder plays a different melody.

It's almost like magic. I share my feelings, hearing those melodies and sitting beside him. When Ryder talks about music, he becomes more talkative and passionate.

That day, we were talking about music after school as usual... But because of the strenuous physical education class in the afternoon, my eyes are getting heavy gradually. I fell asleep without realizing it. Waking up quickly, I seemed to have slept with my head resting on Ryder's shoulder and found his face was just close to me. Our eyes met each other, and my eyes looked right into his. I look at Ryder's lips just in front of me. They are trembling slightly...

Did he kiss me?

The moment my heart beaten faster, Ryder said strictly in a cold voice.

"My shoulder isn't your pillow. Don't disturb my music. If you sleep more here, do it after you go home."

"...."

I didn't respond but I don't know when I started to think about Ryder and music every day. I've started to like spending my time with Ryder talking about music when I am not recording my songs.