Prologue

"Mommy!"

"Eva! My sweet babygirl!"  Mommy smiles, enveloping me in her arms. I sigh happily and giggle as she pulls away. "Today's your birthday!"

"I know! I'm finally the big one-oh!"

"Why don't we go get a cake, hmm? Just a tiny cake, just for me and you, yeah?"

"Okay!"

"Mommy, why don't they like me?" I ask as mommy grips my hand tightly, walking out of the house. She sighs as she helps me into the backseat of the car, crouching down beside me.

"Who, sweetie?"

"The pack... they hate me."

"They don't hate you, honey." Mommy frowns. "They love you."

"Okay." I murmur and look away from her.

"Was Gloria nice to you today?"

"Yeah, a little bit." I smile as she starts the car and heads down the road. Before I know it we're driving down the deserted roads toward the town.

"Why do they give you looks, mommy?"

"Because I'm different."

"How?"

"I'm a Pura Lupus, a white wolf, they are very rare, sweetie."

"Why?"

"White wolves are magical, they have extraordinary gifts."

My eyes widen as we pull into town. "Really?"

"Mhm!" Mom smiles, looking back at me, her gaze lingering on me, sadness clouding her eyes. "You will be the strongest white wolf ever to be born. I love you so much, babygirl."

"I love you too, momm-"

Our car is jostled to the side and there's a loud slam as the airbags deploy, followed by the sound of metal scraping together. The windows shatter and mom lets out a scream. Hot white pain flashes over me and then everything goes black.

❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿

"She's waking up!"

My eyes pop open and light blinds me, making me squint and move my arm. I look over, seeing Gloria standing to my right, tears streaming from her eyes. "You're awake!"

I suck in a breath but something in my throat cuts off my oxygen. My eyes bulge and a nurse rushes over, telling me to hold still so she can remove the tube from my throat. Once she does, I cough, sitting up, letting out a painful yell, gripping my ribs.

"You need to lay down," The nurse says gently, pushing me back down.

"What happened?" I croak, my voice raspy from not being used.

"You and mom were in a car accident, you've been in a coma overnight..." Gloria whispers as she sniffles, wiping her nose on her sleeve.

"We were?"

"Yeah," Gloria hiccups, gripping my hand. "Everything's gonna be okay, sis, I promise."

I nod as I look around my hospital room. Gloria gives me a brave smile and then jumps as the door is flung open, slamming against the wall. Our father steps through, anger in his expression, tears trickling down his cheeks. "It's your fault! You did this! You killed her, you pathetic little child!"

Gloria gasps and covers her mouth. "Mom... is dead?"

"Yes, she's dead!" Dad screams, sobbing as he turns his glare to me. "And it's all because of her."

Gloria slowly looks at me and frowns, her expression quickly becoming angry. "It is your fault."

"No, it's not-"

"I can't believe this." Gloria murmurs as she steps away from the bed.

"Sir, please leave-" the nurse says but he shoves her aside coming closer to me.

"You are not my daughter, and I have never loved you, and I will never love you." He spits and I become aware of the monitor's soft beeps becoming faster and more erratic. "Pathetic, worthless excuse of a wolf."

"Doctor! Her heart rate is increasing! She's going into shock!"

The last thing I see is Gloria being tugged out of the room by my father as my vision fills with spots.