Restless Heart Syndrome

(Trigger warning)

Tre's POV

"What the fuck are you doing here, fag?" Adrienne demanded.

If she's calling me a fag than that means Billie told her. I guess that's where he's actually been all morning. Great. 

"Well first off, calling me a fag is mean. It's true, but it's mean. Secondly, I could ask you the same question. I'm gonna assume Billie talked to you." I told her.

"Yes. That's why I'm here, to take my boyfriend back to my house."

"He's not your boyfriend anymore." I told her firmly.

Adrienne took a step towards me so that she was right in my face.

"Look Tre, I accept that Billie's confused. I can deal with that. He just needs me to straighten him out. What's not helpful to Billie is you leading him on and confusing him." She said to me, without breaking eye contact. I didn't even know how to respond to that.

"Adrienne, you and your ignorant mindset seem to be the only ones confused."

"Have you ever stopped for a moment and thought about how you'll effect Billie?" She asked me.

"Well, I can't be worse for him than you." God, I'm on a roll right now.

Adrienne rolled her eyes, "Listen Tre, do you know what will happen when people find out about you two? Do you think his Mom will be able to look at him the same way again? Do you know what kind of publicity Green Day will get? He sure as fuck won't be able to show his face around Oakland. You know damn well I'm right. If you actually cared about Billie you'd back off. We both know he's just one bad day away. Do you actually think he can handle it when the news gets out?"

She was right. Fuck, I hate it but she's right. This is exactly what Billie was terrified of. The world is a complete mess right now and despite years of fighting and progress made we just aren't there yet.

Adrienne lowered her voice, "Look Tre, I love him too. That's why I'm doing this. I don't want him to get hurt or to hurt himself."

"No." I said firmly. "If you actually loved Billie than you wouldn't be forcing him in a closet. You're right, things would be easier if he lied and stayed with you, but if he did that than he'd constantly be at war with himself and that will hurt him more in the long run. Billie won't do this alone, Mike and I will fight this out with him. Like Jesus Adrienne, if you can't accept Billie for who he is did you even care about him at all?!"

That really angered Adrienne, "You'll be the reason he kills himself!" She screamed at me.

It took everything in me not to cry when she said that. I was filled with so much anger. I had a choice, I could finally tell Adrienne everything I've wanted to say since she first crashed into Billie's life. I could call her out on all her bullshit and toxic mindset. But what would that accomplish? No, I won't lower myself to her level.

I took a deep breath and calmly said, "Adrienne, you can't bully the gay out of Billie no more than he could bully the ignorance out of you. Accepting Billie for who he is won't kill him. Making him feel ashamed of who he is will. I'm sorry if you don't agree with this but it's his life. Now, get the fuck out of here." 

Adrienne gave me one last look before she spat in my face and left. She nailed me right in the eye; it was absolutely disgusting. I slowly closed the door and crawled back in the blanket fort. I couldn't even bring myself to wipe my face first. I finally allowed myself to cry. In that moment I didn't think I'd ever be able to stop crying.