When It's Time

Tre's Pov

I sat and cried for what felt like hours. I was still crying when I heard the door unlock and someone step inside.

"Tre? Babe, I'm back and I brought ice cream." I heard Billie call out.

I didn't move. I didn't think I'd be able to. I heard more footsteps but kept crying.

"Whoa! Did you build a blanket..." Billie's voice trailed off.

Suddenly I heard a loud crash followed by the sound of running, as Billie dropped the groceries on the floor and came crashing into the fort.

"Tre...?"

I couldn't even look at him. I kept my head down and tried to stop crying. Billie took my face in his hands and raised it so we were making eye contact. I looked into his eyes and saw him slowly start to break down. That did it, I cried harder than I had all day. Billie immediately pulled me into his arms and I cried on his shoulder. Billie began to rub small circles on my back.

After a while he slowly asked me, "Oh Tre, who did this to you?"

I slowly began to tell him what happened. How Adrienne wanted me to leave, how she threatened us and how she fucking spat at me.

"Oh God. Tre, I'm so sorry." Was all Billie could say.

"Where have you been all day?" I managed to say in between sobs.

Billie sighed and pulled me into his lap. I wrapped my arms tightly around his chest and waited for him to speak.

"I woke up at 8 and I looked at you in my arms and just thought about how badly I wanted this. I texted Adrienne and met her at her house. I told her that I didn't love her anymore and she started crying." Billie's voice shook as he spoke. "When she asked what changed I told her that I fell in love with my best friend and that I wanted to be with you. I told her that we had sex; she told me that was disgusting and that I was delusional. She said that I just didn't know what I wanted and than she tried to kiss me." As Billie said this I could see tears starting to form in his eyes. I cried harder but kept listening.

"I pushed her off me before she could, but she kept trying to do stuff to me. I was so freaked out that I ran for the door and I yelled at her to never come near me again. As I drove away I realized that I've just been running my whole life and when I'm with you I don't want to run anymore. Tre, when I'm with you, you don't treat me the way she does. That's how I realized that the way she's been treating me isn't healthy. Now that I know the difference, I'm not afraid to be alone anymore." Billie began to run his fingers through my hair. I tried to find words but failed. Finally I managed to say,

"Thank you. I'm proud of you, pretty boy."

He laughed a little when I used his nickname but than his face dropped again.

"Don't thank me. I should've come straight home, but I didn't. I never thought she would come after you."

Billie began to cry and I quickly wiped his tears away.

"No Billie, don't. She didn't know I was here, she came for you. I'm glad you didn't have to go through that again." I put my hand on his face and he leaned into it.

"It hurt so much being with her, Tre. I was so scared it would hurt more being without her."

"I know and it's ok now." I told him. "It's in the past. The past can't hurt you anymore, not unless you let it."

Billie smiled and kissed me passionately.

"I'm not scared anymore, Tre."

We sat there, holding each other for a while before I remembered something.

"So, than where were you when Adrienne was here?" I asked.

Billie smiled and kissed my forehead.

"Come with me." He said.

We crawled out of the fort and I saw spilled grocery bags all over the floor. The tub of ice cream had opened and melted ice cream was just every where. I looked and among the food was a single blue rose, slightly wilted from the fall. Billie picked up the rose and presented it to me.

"I'm sorry." He said. "It's a little broken, but than again so are we."

I ran my fingers through his hair and kissed him gently.

"I love it." I told him.

"There's more." He told me.

Billie took my hand and got down on one knee.

"I wanted to do this properly." He said.

Billie reached into his pocket and pulled out a ring pop.

"Tre Cool, will you be my boyfriend?" He asked me.

And just like that, everything that had happened this morning didn't matter anymore. Billie Joe has a hold on my heart that I couldn't break even if I wanted to. I couldn't stop loving him anymore than I could stop breathing air.

"Yes." I replied.