Part 10: The Quest to Avenge Jonathan Pangborn

After a few minutes of waiting around John finally looked up at Sherlock. His brilliant blue eyes shimmered in the sunlight beaming in. John realized that Sherlock had just been sitting in front of him waiting this whole time.

"Alright. Where to?" John sighed, looking up at Sherlock.

Suddenly they were in standing in front of the New York Sanctum. The wind was blowing fiercely. Banners and flags were being thrown around every which way. And the streets were desolate.

Strange and Sherlock walked into the Sanctorum with their heads held high. Strange adjusted his cloak as he motioned for the door to open. Meanwhile, Sherlock began to unravel the tie around his navy dress gown as he walked in alongside John.

"So where shall we start?" asked John, uncomfortable with the similarities between Sherlock and Doctor Strange.

"Perhaps you two might like a change of clothes?" Strange suggested.

Both John and Sherlock changed out of their pajamas and into more suitable outfits. A few moments later, they re-joined Strange in a seating area.

"As you were saying, John," said Sherlock.

"Well where are we supposed to go next? We don't exactly have any leads."

Sherlock shook his head in dissatisfaction. And Strange just ignored him altogether.

"Alright, so we know Mr. Pangborn was paralyzed by a Master of the Mystic arts. But there are dozens all across the globe. Did he give you any indication as to who exactly he might be?"

"OH WAKE UP!" yelled Sherlock as John gave him a glare.

"Yes there are always 'indications', Strange!" mocked Sherlock. The room was silent. Sherlock waved his arms in the air in anticipation that perhaps somebody might catch on. But Strange and John just gave him a sort of 'what in the world are you going on about' look.

"GOD WE FINALLY HAVE A CASE AND NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN NOBODY IS USING THEIR HEAD! OF COURSE THERE ARE INDICATIONS." Sherlock exclaimed.

"So enlighten us, Mr. Holmes," Strange told him.

"OH WHAT A GREAT IDEA. I NEVER THOUGHT TO DO-"

"Sherlock, please... " John interrupted.

"OH COME ON JOHN! I'M NOT A CHILD."

"He's not quite mastered the whole using manners thing yet," John told Strange.

"Yes, I can see that," Strange laughed.

"Mr. Pangborn brought up the New York Sanctum Sanctorum. Why? I thought perhaps he might be hinting at an old keeper there, as it seems you haven't been there too long. So I looked into it. I used John's computer to-"

"Oh how you know my bloody password?! I just changed it," interrupted John.

"Excuse you. I found that the last trip Mr. Pangborn had taken was at 9:15pm to Kathmandu, Nepal. Is that of any significance to you?"

"Yes I-"

"MY POINT EXACTLY. You see, I assumed it was some sort of meditation retreat. His pupils dilated, his heart rate slowed as he spoke of it. Abnormally so. Unlike any of his previous statements. Which could only mean something happened and I would assume the culprit can be found somewhere in Nepal."

"Alright so-"

"SHUT UP. I'M THINKING. DON'T YOU KNOW THAT- JOHN TAKE HIM OUTSIDE OR SOMETHING I'M TRYING TO THINK," screamed Sherlock.

"EXCUSE ME MR. HOLMES," Strange retaliated.

"Alright now, let's not have a row. We'll just get a bit of fresh air while Sherlock thinks. He's going to his mind palace, don't take it personally," said John explained to Strange.

"His mind what?" asked Strange as they walked outside.

The door slammed behind them them and Sherlock began to pace back and fourth. His hands pressed together, right against his lips. As always. He needed to think! Why couldn't he think?

"HIS HANDS WERE SHAKING. THEY WERE SHAKING, JOHN! THOUGH NOT WHEN TALKED ABOUT THIS PLACE. WHY CAN'T I PUT MY FINGER ON IT!"

Sherlock began to walk quicker.

"IS HE TRYING TO PROTECT HIM. NO NO THAT'S NOT IT! OH JOHN HOW COULD I BE SO FOOLISH OF COURSE! OF COURSE I KNOW."

John walked in right as Sherlock had finished. John had done this one too many times and could almost sense when Sherlock was finished in his mind palace. Strange didn't say anything, as he wasn't sure if it was safe to or not. Though it was quite silly. He'd slayed dragons to juggernauts, but he was almost afraid to be yelled at by Sherlock Holmes. The three of them stewed in silence as they waited for Sherlock's statement. Strange started to look up the ceiling and John whistled to himself while walking around the room. Meanwhile, Sherlock was just sipping tea and staring off into space. He was grinning to himself, but said nothing.

"Alright, Sherlock this is ridiculous. Would you just say it already!" Strange declared after a couple of minutes had passed.

"Just give me a moment," Sherlock replied without even looking in the direction of Strange. He just continued to sip his tea.

"SHERLOCK. THIS. IS. MADNE-"

"Does the name Karl Mordo mean anything to you?"