Chapter 5

Victoria

When I pulled up to Compton High School Wednesday morning I knew I was way in over my head. Things were drastically different from Westwood. It was an eye-opener seeing some of the things that were allowed to go on out here, like the people basically having sex on the side of the building, guys smoking by the front doors, groups of kids surrounded by cars in the parking lot with the music blasting having rap battles and you even had the gangs clearly showing off their colors. Now I see why Mama and Daddy kept me sheltered from this area all of my life. It was like East Side High in Lean on Me. This school is like a movie, I'm only going to be waiting for a director to pop out and yell cut.

I parked all of the way at the end of the parking lot once I finally got through it. Call me spoiled, but compared to the rest of these kids' cars mine is a beauty so of course I got stares from practically everybody at the school because somehow everybody knew a new student was coming.

I reached in my backseat for my bag and made sure I stuffed my old uniform inside of it. I couldn't step foot inside of my house this afternoon without it on or my parents would really start to question me. I reapplied my lipstick and fixed my hair before I climbed out the car but I was stopped by Teddy.

"You shouldn't park over here," He said, leaning inside of my window. "It's not safe."

I rolled my eyes and looked around the parking lot. "None of it's safe."

He laughed. "Welcome to Compton High. None of it's safe but go park in the middle of the lot. Niggas like to steal car parts during the day but you'll really be out of luck if you park on the end," He replied.

"Alright, well get in. I don't want to walk in by myself."

He smiled and climbed into the passenger before I pulled off. I don't know what was going on but as soon as I parked my car in the spot Teddy directed me to it was like people started crowding around the car. "It looks like you've got fans," Teddy laughed before climbing out of my car.

I knew just by the way Teddy was looking, he knew these people. They were his friends, that's why he wasn't so scared like me. It's like a zoo up here compared to Westwood. I threw on my sunglasses and grabbed my bags before stepping out of the car, pushing some of the crowd back.

"Theodore?" I called out once I locked my car.

"Who's this bitch?" I heard some of the girls in the crowd snicker, but I paid them no attention. I know they were used to Teddy being a hot commodity around here but things are going to change since I came. Teddy's not going to be able to hoe around with these girls while I'm here.

I rolled my eyes and pushed through Teddy's groupies as I made my way over to him. I wrapped my arm around his. "Come on, we need to go to class," I told him but some of the people started laughing.

"Girl, we get to class when ever we want to get to class," One of Teddy's friends said.

I shook my head and looked over at Teddy who was looking at me. "You ready?" I asked him. He nodded his head and gave his friends dap before pulling me towards the building. "Who were those idiots?" I asked.

He laughed as his hands slipped down to my butt like always. "Just some of the guys."

"Do they always crowd around people's cars like that?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Nah. Only if I'm in it," He smiled before we approached the building. "Once we get in here I don't want you to listen to anything you hear Victoria. You know you're my girl, right?"

I nodded my head, yes. "Yeah, why?"

"Just because I don't want you to listen to what any of these jealous hoes say. They're old news but you're new and all that matters, okay?"