Dead TARDIS

“Dream….”  Emilee is once again in the hospital bed next to the Doctor who is rubbing his eyes.  Emilee sits up.  “Oh! Sorry…  I nodded off there for a sec…  Must be the medication.  I was dreaming we were back in the TARDIS.” 

The Doctor paces back and forth around the room.  Looking quite concerned. 

“You had the same dream, didn’t you?”  Asked Emilee, staring to worry. 

The Doctor nods his head.  “Weren’t we just talking about this?”

“But we thought this was the dream, didn’t we?”  Emilee starts to panic.  “Doctor what’s going on?” 

The Doctor walks over to Emilee and takes her hand.  “My dear listen to me.  Trust nothing.  From now on, trust nothing you see, hear or feel.”

“B-but…. We’re awake now.” 

The Doctor pats her hand tenderly.  “You thought you were awake on the TARDIS too.” 

Emilee starts to cough hard.  After a minute she stops.  In a very small voice she says, “But D-Doctor…. It f-feels so real. Sadly I know I’m awake.”  She starts to cry. 

The Doctor hugs the distressed Emilee.  “There there….”  He pats her back.  “You’re also dreaming….  The trouble is Emilee…. Which is which?  Brace yourself.  I’ve been here before.” 

There is loud beeping again and suddenly the scenery changes back to the TARDIS.  Emilee and the Doctor wake up on the cold floor.

“This is bad!  This is very, very bad!”  Emilee looks at the Doctor through wet eyes.  “Doctor I don’t like this!” 

“I know I’m sorry!”  Says the Doctor running over to the TARDIS consul that is still flashing. 

Emilee walks over with him.  “Do you think maybe whatever’s wrong with the TARDIS is causing the dreams?  Maybe it was the future….”

The Doctor turns.  “No no dear, that was not your future.”  Says the Doctor, half hoping.  He could hardly bear it if that’s the condition his companion has to face. 

“Okay, okay….”  Emilee jumps up and down and feels all around the TARDIS.  “This is real.  I’m certainly awake now.”

“And you thought you were awake when you were in the hospital.”  Said the Doctor sadly, he shakes his head and sighs.  “This could be the dream.  I told you.  Trust nothing we see or hear or feel.”  He takes her hand.  “Come on my dear, examine everything.  Look for all the details that don’t shine true.” 

Emilee sighs.  She’s in a spaceship that’s bigger on the inside than the outside….  With a 900+ year old alien who looks no more than 20.  “Doctor….  Maybe that’s not so simple….”

“Hmm…. Maybe you’re right.”

All of a sudden The TARDIS switches off. 

“Oh no! Come on old girl!”  The Doctor tries to turn the TARDIS back on but it doesn’t work.  “It’s…. It’s dead.  We’re in a dead time machine!” 

The hospital sounds ring again.  Emilee hugs the Doctor.