Two Players

Part Six

Neil usually sat alone in the mornings to plan out the trip schedule and discuss things with the driver and send a message home. He shook his head thinking of his mother's antics when she had called him earlier. She was worried about his future and why did he suddenly take on this assignment.

"Mom main theek hoon. I will be home by the middle of next month. Yes I am eating but nothing beats yours and Bebe's cooking," he replied.

Shweta shushed him and they chatted briefly before Neil realized he needed to get his group on their way to Sorrento.

Avni wore a black top with a floral design and black leggings. The morning was cool as every morning had been since the trip started. She shivered slightly before pulling her jacket close to her body.

She sat with Celeste inquiring about her health. Avni grabbed a cup of tea and drank it slowly and started munching on her breakfast.

She noticed Neil was busy on his laptop. She did not think it was right to breech the professional line he needed to keep as trip manager. She continued her attention on Celeste and the others around them.

Chris and a few others were missing from the coach. Avni dusted off her leggings from when she had to bend down to place her luggage under the coach. She sensed Neil was upset. He had gone back inside to check where the missing people were.

Chris was known as Crispy Creme, hence that song was played in his honor when he finally made it on the coach. Avni could not help but chuckle at Neil or Tomas's timing to play that song.

They arrived in Pompeii.

Neil recalled on how on the way to Nice she had stated Pompeii was one of the places she looked forward to seeing.

He smiled as he noticed her childlike enthusiasm. Connor was teasing her about it.

" Aanya you wanted to see this place since you were a little girl!"

Avni teased him back about something.

The very Italian sounding Maria would be tour guide. Everyone was handed ear pieces and they listened to Maria as she talked to Neil.

Neil sorted the details with her. Everyone joked they could hear their conversation and it sorta felt like eavesdropping.

Avni liked to hear his voice. She knew in a matter of days , she would probably never see him again. She would enjoy each moment of this journey.

Neil would meet them at the end of the tour. Poor JoAnn and Celeste were too sick to join them. Avni had wished them well before they had embarked on the tour.

At least they had Neil to be good company.

They climbed stairs and walked through the ruins. Seeing the remains of a dog and then a baby made Avni emotional. She had lost her parents several years ago.

She remained somber as she focused on the funny talks of Maria. Soon she was laughing again.

The tour ended sooner than she expected.

She smiled slightly as she met up with Celeste and JoAnn.

" Neil said we will leave for the hostel in forty minutes," Celeste stated.

Avni didn't see him around so he had probably asked her to pass the message on.

She quickly had some food with Courtney. She felt dissatisfied with the food like she had with lunch earlier. There would be a walk into Sorrento the official larger town later that evening. She would grab something else then.