04 | Eyes Closed

I spent the afternoon sitting in bed, crying and sleeping

I spent the afternoon sitting in bed, crying and sleeping. When I heard the door beep open, I glanced over at the clock to see that it was nowhere near time for the end of the reception. I shut my eyes as I felt the bed shift to his weight at my bedside.

"Valerie," he whispered my name and I hated the jolt of glee that ran through my body. I didn't move as his fingertips brushed my hair out of my face. "I know you're awake, Valerie."

I slowly blinked my eyes open and sighed as I sat up to face him. There was concern in his eyes, and it confused me as to why he would care so much. I suppose someone as warm hearted as he would be worried. I definitely don't deserve the full pay for this weekend.

"What is it? What's wrong?" He rested his hand over mine and enveloped it.

I shook my head, knowing I shouldn't be talking about something so personal. He was a client after all, and I couldn't burden him with something like this.

"Well, I have the rest of the evening free, so we can do whatever you want as long as it cheers you up," he smiled warmly at me, and I felt a tug in my stomach. It was the same feeling I had the last time I felt anything for a guy, but that was ages ago, and while it sent a thrill up my chest, I knew that it would amount to nothing.

Alex was a client and I learned the hard way not to go there.

~o~

I blinked my eyes open to the muted daylight, bleeding through the thin curtains. I was exactly where I was when I was giggling next to Alex. His side of the bed was made and as I peeked down under my sheets, I was relieved to find my clothes still on.

Not that it mattered in this situation. I was hired for it anyway.

But something about Alex keeping his word made me gladder than I thought I'd be.

Last night was a lot more fun than I expected it to be. Alex managed to get his hands on a deck of cards and we spent hours making a drinking game out of the card game Speed. Drunk Alex was cute, especially when he took off his tie only to tighten it around his head like a crown. King of this fcking drinking game, he called himself. Then, we watched sitcoms on the tv until we passed out from our drunkenness. Through the giggles and the bad jokes, he seemed even more appealing.

It might have been the way he made me feel, and no, it was nothing lustful. He just made me feel safe, safer than I'd felt in a long time. He didn't tip toe around conversational topics, and instead, made it clear through the honesty in his eyes that he genuinely found my opinions valid and worth considering.

Working as a call girl usually meant being belittled for having any opinions over current events or important business. Men can be so condescending when they pay you.

"Hey," Alex greeted me as he walked out of the bathroom toward the sofa. My eyes ate him hungrily as he paraded his fine ass around in nothing but a white towel. I should send a thank you letter to the hotel staff for choosing such thin ones to offer their customers.