Chapter 7: Almost

Everyone's in their sweet slumber, that is, except for Andrew. His eyes looked around, nothing's there.  He tried to listen, nothing made a sound. It was peaceful. The environment was like any ordinary night. Nothing but the chirping of the insects. Andrew stood in search for his mate, his girlfriend, Marcy. He stealthily walked across the room, avoiding the other man who told him not to. He held her hand in his, kissing it gently as she slept. "What did I say?" Dan came from behind, the older male jumped in surprise. "Shit! Man, you scared me." Andrew whispered, careful not to wake the red-head. "Sorry. But I thought we were in agreement." Andrew, wearing bright red cheeks, rubbed the back of his neck. "It's not that easy."

Dan sighed. Love. What are you gonna do?

He gave a small smile, yawning from the inside. The younger male watched as the other prepared to go back to sleep. He turned away, looking at the rest. Ana, Marcy and V, sleeping in that row of order. He glimpsed upon the watch that Andrew's girl was wearing. It was 10 past midnight. 10 more minutes, he can go to sleep. 10 more minutes, his partner will take his place. His eyes grew heavier and heavier. 

            "No. 10 more minutes. Hang in there." Dan thought to himself. He was able to control himself. Then he fell asleep, 12 seconds later. "SWOOP!"  Dan awakened by the sound of a thudding metal. The 17-year old looked to his left, spotting Ana just inches from where he was. There was blood on her face and his machete. "What did you-?" Dan stopped. They both stared at a body with Ana's crowbar deep within its decomposed skin. It was a zombie. A member of the undead. "You're welcome." Ana panted. "Thanks." Dan replied.

Ana took out her journal once again. She scribbled some words in it, relating to what just happened. Dan looked, and laughed.

-

"April 21st, 2015

I just saved Dan's ass. Details will be applied later."

-

He messed up Ana's hair, as if she was his little sister. The two with brown hair, one dark, the other a light shade, went back to where they where. They waked up the group. It was almost 5am, their usual wake up call. "V, you overslept." Dan rocked the girl back and fourth. "Is it my shift already?" She moaned. "No, it's already morning." Dan answered. "SHIT!" V immediately held her rifle, in an adrenaline to get to her feet, despite feeling woozy. Ana couldn't believe what she was seeing. A side of V she never seen coming. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" V repeated, flailing her hand closely her chin. "It's okay. Let's just wake everyone up." Dan patted her head in response. The three did everything they could to wake Andrew and Marcy. But they failed. They were heavy sleepers.

      V scratched her head. "I'm getting angry." She commented. "Don't over-do it, Hulk Girl."

With a glare, another scene of silence fluttered to the atmosphere.

V dragged Andrew by his feet, then stepped on his chest. "She overdid it." Ana joked. "Yep." The man gasped for breath, in shock on what was happening. "Get up or die." With that, he struggled to stand. He rushed to his girl, afraid V will do the same. "Babe, get up." Andrew picked her up by her shoulder.

The sun was already in the sky, the group departed.

"New Jersey." Ana smiled, making a conversation. "I guess it's cool." Marcy smiled along. "VSSHKGH!"  Dan fired an arrow. The path they chose had less zombies. Less danger but deadly, either way. "Dammit, you get all the zombies." V scoffed at her partner from the back of the group. "Your rifle is very loud, remember?" V pouted, then smiled. She dispatched herself from the rest and ran ahead. The girl found another weapon. It was a kitchen knife. It was placed near it's late owner.

"What are you doing?" Andrew whispered, yelling out to female leader. "Being my signature 'angry' self." She joked, both men of the group fell in a blank stare. She heard.

Looking at the weapon on the floor and the body laying face-down, she tried to grab the knife, clenched within the hands of a corpse. V looked back, seeing Ana nearly cry. "I thought-." The young lady in pink was cut off when the 'body' jumped at V, and bit her in the hand. With a sudden shock, the knife was out of her reach. "V!" They yelled out. Out of weapons, and blocking the way to make Dan shoot it with his crossbow, V took her sniper rifle and used it to hit the undead man back to being dead. Brutally. It didn't move, it didn't release it's bite. Dan went to her rescue, alongside the rest.

            When they got there, it was already done for. V wasn't quitting. She put all her hidden rage into one final blow.

V panted, laughing. It's dead. But it's still biting her hands, being protected by her black leather gloves. "You okay?" Ana asked. "Yeah, no worries, Ana Banana." She waved her hands, flinging the zombie's head along with it. "Let me." Dan used his machete to remove the clenched teeth from V's palms.

Within a struck of light, it was removed. They all inspected her wound. No dice. Her gloves were damaged, but her hands were fine. The only damage it made was not a bruise, nor an open wound, but just a set of teeth marked up. "Next time, you might not be as lucky, miss." Marcy stood. "You should be more careful." The other added.

"Give me some credit, you guys! Hey! Where'd that knife go?" V smiled. Dan handed the item in question to his partner. The fear they felt was real.

They walked past the next turn, looking side to side, then going forward. Silence filled the streets. It was just about 6 or 7 in the morning. And already, a lot has happened. What could else could go wrong?