5 - Am I Thinking Too Much?

A/N: HEYAA guess who finally graduated and is back???!? I'm getting my diploma tomorrow and I have prom on Friday I'm so excited omfg okay anyways I finally finished writing the next chapter so, hope you like it 🤗
_

"Mitch?!" I hissed at Kirstie when we got back into my house. "You said his name was Mike!"

"I don't know, he was mumbling when he introduced himself!" Kirstie hissed back.

"But you said Michael, how is that even close to Mitch?!"

"He probably said Mitchell? I don't know, Scott, I'm sorry, okay? Now you know his name, let's drop it."

I sighed, plopping down on the bed and running my hand through my hair. She was right, I couldn't take out my mood swings whenever I wanted to at her. She came to sit next to me and put a hand on mine that rested on my lap.

"Hey..." She began. "I know you're nervous. It'll be alright, Mike- Mitch seems like a really sweet guy. And he's interested, he could've said no but he said I gladly accept." She tried to mimic his voice but that just made me laugh. "See?" I heard a smile in her voice so I looked up, just to have that confirmed. "It's gonna be alright. Who knows, maybe you'll end up getting married?"

I snorted. "Kirst, I feel like it's a little early to say that."

"Alright, I'm sorry," she apologized sincerely. "We'll see what happens."

"Right..."

I stood up from the bed, ready to go to the bathroom to change into my sleeping attire when I stopped dead in my tracks.

"Fuck."

"What, babe?" Kirstie glanced up from her phone.

"Fuckfuckfuckfuck how am I so stupid?"

I facepalmed myself as I sank down on the bed again.

"I asked him out... I might never see him again. How did we not exchange phone numbers? Kirstie, why didn't you say anything?!"

"Why is it my fault now?!"

"Alright, it's not, sorry... How am I gonna reach out to him?!"

"Honey, don't worry about that, you basically run into him every day... Next time, just ask for his phone number."

"Yeah... I guess you're right..."

***

The next morning I jumped up from my bed the second I woke up. For the first time in my life, I couldn't wait to go running in the park. Normally, I would have to go to the gym today, try to get some abs to look better for... myself, but I figured the odds to meet Mitch were better at the park. Not that I didn't think he worked out, the gym was just always crowded with the same smelly people and I felt like that wasn't the perfect place to meet your, uh... crush.

I hated to admit it. And maybe he wasn't exactly a crush, it wasn't like I was in love with him... I definitely felt something, I just couldn't quite pinpoint what it was. And that was okay, I reminded myself. It was okay not to know things, be confused.

I put on my usual work out clothes, but this time I made sure to use more deodorant so I didn't sweat and smell too much if I met Mitch.

Mitch.

It was weird having a different name to call him now. He wasn't Mike, Mikey, Michael anymore, he was Mitch. To be completely honest, I liked Mitch better. It just suited him a lot more, he didn't look like a Michael, he looked like a Mitchell. It was cute. Scott and Mitch. Scomitch. I cringed at the made up ship name, why did I ever think it was a good idea to combine my name with someone else's.

I grabbed my hoodie, threw it on before I slammed the door shut in excitement and ran towards the park.

It wasn't far away, just about a five-minute jog and I was in a nice green alleyway that led right around the park. I listened to some music on my phone, putting my playlist on shuffle and letting Queen B blast through my headphones. I got lost in the music, singing along to every single song in my head while I made my way through the park. I did one lap. Two. Three. No sign of Mitch. I sighed, plopping down on the bench and turning my music off - that's when I saw I had two notifications.

Unknown number: hey i don't know how to use this but are you scott?

Unknown number: anyway i got your number from your friend she said i should text you

I read through the messages not knowing who it was but when the realization hit me my eyes widened.

Scott: Mitch?

Unknown number: that's me

I checked the time on my phone. It was barely nine in the morning, there was no way Kirstie could have possibly-

I decided to text Kirstie real quick to check if she was playing me in any way.

Scott: Kirstie if this is you pulling a prank on me I stg
Scott: did u give him my number????

Kirstie: yeah saw him at Starbucks this morning

Scott: omg you're an angel

I immediately went back to my conversation with Mitch.

Scott: Mitch, I'm sorry I forgot to ask for your number when I asked you out. Is Friday night okay? I'll pick you up at 8 if that's cool?

Mitch: sure

I frowned. Wow, don't sound too excited. But I decided to drop it.

Scott: see you then :)

Mitch: see you

Great. I stood up from the bench, deciding to head home. Work out for nothing, and Mitch didn't even seem excited about our date. I doubted he even wanted to go. He'd probably stand me up, I had to prepare myself for the worst. But he seemed so excited when we met in person. Then again, maybe he just wasn't good at texting.

I sighed once again. Was I overthinking too much? I tried not to think about that anymore, turning my favorite song, Halo, up to full volume and letting it drown out my thoughts.