11 - City of Angels

A/N: I'm... Sorry? 😬
_

I held my hands against my ears to stop this high-pitched sound from shattering my brain. It was black, I couldn't see anything at all, all I heard was this high-pitched sound that just didn't stop.

And then everything went quiet. For a second I panicked because I thought the sound broke my hearing but then someone, a familiar voice spoke up.

"Shit. I can't do it."

I woke up to my phone ringing. The light was blinding as I opened my eyes, but as soon as they adjusted I could see that it was Mitch calling me. And it was 6 in the morning.

"Hello?" I asked, my morning voice groggy but I was alert. Why would he call me at 6 in the morning? Unless something happened-

"S- Scott?" Mitch... Sobbed?

"Mitchy, are you okay?" I asked, my voice soft now. "Shh... Take a deep breath."

"I- I don't know what's happening-"

"What do you mean?" I sat up in my bed, mentally preparing myself for the case that I had to drive to his house.

"My- I- I can feel-"

"What can you feel?" His panicking voice made me anxious as well, but I tried not to let him know. What in the world must've happened?

"I don't know." He sighed, and a lot more sobs escaped. "I'm... Scared..."

"Alright, hold on Mitchy." I jumped up, the phone between my cheek and shoulder as I ran to the closet to grab the first thing I could get. "I'm coming."

"Coming where?"

"To you. I need you to take some deep breaths and focus on something else until I'm there, okay? I'll be there in a few minutes."

"O-okay..."

"Hold on Mitchy I'll be right there."

I hung up and ran downstairs to get out of the house and straight into my car, and in a matter of minutes (way less than I needed the times before) I was there.

"Mitchy?" I knocked. A wave of worry spread in my whole body as he didn't answer the door right away, but a few seconds later he did, his eyes puffy and red from crying. Immediately, without saying a word, I pulled him into my arms in a tight hug. "It's alright. Don't worry, it's okay..."

"I- I need to tell you something."

"Okay. Okay, let's just... Go inside."

Mitch closed the door behind us and led me into the living room to the couch.

"Tell me what's wrong." I drew patterns on the back of his hand with my thumb, hoping to comfort him at least a little.

He shook his head, suppressing another sob. "I can't. I- you wouldn't understand. Not even I can really understand it."

"We can try?" I asked. Finally, after long moments of hesitation, Mitch finally gave in.

"Okay... Fine... I... Am, or was... An angel."

I didn't know if this was his weird sense of humor again, or if he was being serious, but it caught me off-guard quite a bit.

"O- okay?"

"You asked how I knew what you were going to say next, right? You asked me how I knew what you felt? It was all because I am- was - an angel."

"What do you mean you were an angel?"

He sighed - obviously, he didn't want to talk about it but he also knew he had to.

"Your guardian angel. I was always by your side, just... Invisible. When that car almost ran you over, I made a mistake. I became visible, I guess I just wanted to see your reaction..."

"Wait... Mitch, you're kidding me, right? This isn't- there's no way this is true." I stood up from the couch. Did he really think I was this stupid?

"It is!" He insisted, pleading me with his eyes to sit down. "You know why I said I'm from LA? City of angels. Scott... Think about it."

I did think about it, for a split second before my common sense caught up and I shook my head.

"My friends always warned me because they thought you were weird. Now I know. Mitch... I think you should seek professional help. And this..." I pointed to us, "isn't gonna work out." I grabbed my jacket and headed out of the door. "I hope you find happiness. Happiness that doesn't involve lying to people when you're trying to explain why you're feeling bad."

"You know what, Scott? F you, or whatever you humans say!"

I slammed the door shut, and although a part of me was begging me to go back and apologize I forced myself into my car and drove straight to school.