9 - Study Date

I wasn't expecting the ringing of my phone to wake me up in the morning, but when it did I groaned, shoving my head into the pillow and just hoped to be swallowed my something to get rid of the pounding headache.

"Ugh," I just managed, blindly feeling for my phone and finding it on the bedside table. I looked at it, the screen nearly blinding me but as soon as my eyes adjusted and could read the name on the screen I suddenly forgot all about my hangover. "Hello?"

"Uh... Scott?" I heard shuffling, and then he muttered, "is this how this thing works?"

"Mitch?"

"Uh... Yes. Yes, Mitch, I mean, that's me. Um, anyways, I..." He sighed, getting more and more insecure with every second passing. I could almost see him in front of me, fumbling with the sleeve of his coat. "I looked it up online, and they said it's common for the man to... Do it, but since we're both men I just figured... I'd do it. Anyways, I wanted to ask if... You... Wanna go out again, sometime? This is what... People do, right?"

"Um... Sure, I'd love to. When are you free?"

"Like... Tomorrow night?"

"Oh, I mean, sure. Tomorrow night sounds great."

"I'll pick you up at 7."

He hung up, leaving me with a wide smile on my face. Tomorrow was a school day, but for Mitch I'd make space. I was just about to wake Mason up to tell him about the upcoming date but then I remembered what happened last night and that it was kind of awkward between us now. I also realized that I should probably leave in a while, I didn't really want to think about what almost happened anymore. A part of me wanted to run to Kirstie and tell her about it, but it just didn't seem right. Mason was my best friend, too. And whatever it was that happened between us was a thing between us. So I just lay in the bed, hoping that Mason would wake up soon so I could leave.

"Scott?" I suddenly heard and turned my head around to see Mason looking at me. "You ok? Holy shit-" He groaned, gripping his head. "Do you have an insane headache too or is that just me?"

"Me too," I just replied. I bit my lip. Should I tell him...? "Mitch just called me. He wants to go out again."

I tried to contain my smile, I really did. But somehow it just didn't work out and I was smiling like an idiot. But to my surprise, Mason smiled as well.

"I'm happy for you. Anyways, about last night-"

"Yeah, that... Let's just- forget about it."

"No." He shook his head. "I'm sorry, and I want you to know. I don't know what came over me."

"It's okay. I mean, like, sure, you're hot and stuff, but... You're my best friend. I don't want it to be weird between us."

"Yeah, me neither." He agreed. "So, is everything alright? Are we okay?"

"Sure." I smiled. "Nothing happened."

"Okay." He reciprocated the smile, and I was happy to have my best friend back.

"So... Let's go to IHOP for breakfast. You know I could kill a two by two by two."

"Oh, we know." Mason laughed, getting out of bed. Of course everyone knew about my obsession with not one, but two pancakes, two eggs and two bacon strips. Let me tell you, when you're hungover food like that just screams for you.

***

The next day, we got our history test back. Fuck, with everything that happened over the week end I completely forgot that this test even happened, and that instead of dating cute boys I should've been studying but... Who needs to study when you have Mitch? Just kidding, kids, stay in school even if you do have a Mitch, which I don't think you do, because I'm the one with the Mitch but... Never mind. My brain sometimes just overworks itself.