Chapter 25: The Big Day

When most foreigners come to Malaysia they probably spend their days sightseeing. When most women become brides they probably spend days shopping. When most women fall in love they spend the days and nights wrapped up with their beloved.

But not me.

I spent most of my days with my head in books. I spent my afternoons in counseling sessions with Shalene who, although she would never admit it, thought my relationship with Rayyan was dubious at best. And Rayyan, he spent his time working. Watching him shuffle down the hall to his bedroom every night, I reminded myself that soon I would be the one to soothe his worried mind and comfort his body. 

In the days running up to the wedding, he became more distant, more distracted. whatever was happening back in the States, it wasn't boding well for him. I didn't ask. There would be time enough for that later.

The sound of the adhan woke me up again. The first couple of days it was jarring, trying to pull my body out of bed in order to pray with my in-laws. Soon to be in-laws? It was hard to understand exacly what our relationship was or what it was supposed to be. It was the same way with Rayyan. I was his wife and wasn't his wife. Was I his employee? Co-conspirator? Fiance?

But this morning was different. Today, when the sound of the muezzin reached my ears my heart lept in my chest and I sat up without any drowsiness in my body. The cool water from the sink met my warm skin as I washed away the sediment of sleep and I appeared in the hallway wrapped in white, to pray with my family.

Rayyan met me at the top of the stairs and smiled, taking my hand as we descended the staircase. I missed him. I missed his presence. But, I was also no longer afraid. I didn't dream that Smoochie would find me anymore. I didn't check the corners everytime I left the house anymore.

Rayyan had given me that. He kept me safe. He even made some peace with his parents in order to give me the wedding we never had. He worked like a demon for hours every morning so that he could spend time with me int he afternoons. We fought, and he never screamed at me or called me out of my name. We laughed at each other without wounding each other's pride. We prayed together. We prayed for each other. It was better than any relationship I've ever had.

Entering the makeshift musallah, Zara and Liu Wei were already waiting for us. Both of them looked completely awake, alert and excited like little kids on Christmas morning.

"Today is the big day," Zara whispered, rushing to my side.

For three weeks straight she'd been working on this day. Once or twice a day she would come to me with a selection of swatches or catalogs or a tray full of little paper cups full of food for me to choose from. I chose what I liked best and she would smile as if I'd just delivered her heart's lost treasure, and rush from the room to order it. Other than my dress I had no idea what I was in for this afternoon. I just knew that I was due to turn up at the mosque right after asr to be married.

IN the absence of my own friends and family the ladies of her study circle volunteered to be my bridesmaids. We'd even managed to set up a live link in my Grandmother's house so that she could participate via satellite. Everything was ready.

"Is everything okay?" I tugged at Rayyan's shirt. His dazed eyes turned on me and the storm clouds in his face seemed to clear slowly.

"I'm fine. Its a big day."

"Yeah," I chuckled. "It's a lot different when you're sober."

"That's true," he said, giving me a tense smile.

We assembled ourselves the way we had grown accustomed to and prayed the way we had come to think of as normal. Instead of taking the time after the prayers were completed to read Quran and chat with me, he excused himself to his room. Zara and I exchanged a look, both of us confused about what might be calling him away so early in the morning.