Chapter 4: The Encounter

*Music- Look But Don't Touch- Juliet Shatkin*- Authors Note

Alexandria POV

"Mom, we are here" I said loudly. Talia and I walked in shutting the door behind us. I was glad to be home. "Hi girls" my mom appeared out of her room looking a little tired. She came up giving me a hug and kiss, as she did the same to Talia. "Hey Mrs. B" Talia said cheerfully. We handed my mom the groceries we had got for her from the store. "Thank you for stopping for me, Joe is such a nice man" my mom smiled. Joe was our afternoon bus driver, and my mom's current love interest. They weren't official, but he had taken my mom on a few dates. He agreed happily to stop us to the store on the way home. It was nice to see my mom dating, my dad had left when I was six. "Yeah, he is great" Talia grinned. "So I have everything set up, for the party" my mom walked into the kitchen. We followed behind her, she had set up the decorations beautifully.

 "Aw Ms. B, it looks nice in here" Talia was smiling. "I know right, it's your senior year and Kyle's freshman year " she laughed "I just wanted it to be special".  Have I mentioned how much I love my mom? "Thanks mom" I said as Lucille walked in the kitchen. "Hi, T!" she gave Talia a hug. "Hey, Lu how's it going?" Talia asked her. Lucille had been Talia's math tutor. Besides Lu and I being sisters, Talia was like family too. I turned to help my mom with the groceries as the two of them caught up. "How was your first day,love?" my mom asked.  "It was good, eventful" I laughed. "That means drama, right?" she asked setting out the food. "It wouldn't be high school without any drama" I laughed.  "Oh I know, speaking of high school days I heard Jessica Harrington moved back" my mom said frowning. Jessica Harrington was Sydney's mother, my mom and her mom went to highschool together. How ironic is it that they weren't really friends? 

Calville wasn't that big of a city, but everyone knew everyone. It's like we were connected in some way. "Yeah, Rainie was telling me that Sydney starts tomorrow" I rolled my eyes. "That family has always been uppity, for no reason" my mom shook her head. "So how do you feel about Sydney coming back? she asked me. "I don't know, I mean I never really had any problems with her. She didn't really seem all that friendly though" I said. "Well, I know her mother wasn't, she tried to make my life a living hell when we were teens" my mom laughed. 

"Well hopefully Sydney isn't like that" I muttered. "Kyle!" my mom yelled. He ran into the kitchen. "Yes, mom?" he looked annoyed and was texting on his phone. "Put that phone away, we are celebrating" my mom told him. He groaned, but put it in his pocket. "Hey little bro"I squeezed his cheeks. "Stop it Lex, leave me alone" he moved away from me as I laughed at him. "Ahem" my mother cleared her throat. We all looked up at her. "So I would like to say how proud I am of you all" she smiled brightly.  "Lucille, you were able to get a great job, Alex and Talia you two are finally seniors." she continued. I sipped my drink waiting for her to finish. "And last but not least, Kyle is my little freshman this year" she kissed his forehead. "Ew, mom" he complained.

 "Through everything we have been through, it's times like this that make it worth it." my mom's eyes were watering.  I knew she was referring to my dad leaving and the time she had been laid off. Lu had picked up the slack, I had worked at The Study Group during the summer, and Kyle got a job as a bagger at Kroger. We knew how to come together,when things got tough. "Well, to the Britton's" Talia broke the silence "the most badass family I know" she laughed. She always knew how to lighten the mood. We clinked our glasses together and sat down at the table to eat. I couldn't help but think, that no matter what happened this year I had support from them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was officially the second day of school. Sydney Harrington was back and it was like everyone was waiting  for her to arrive.  I was standing with my girls, next to Rainie's Bentley. Rain had given us a ride this morning.  "Jeez this is ridiculous" Rainie rolled her eyes biting into her breakfast burger. One thing I loved about her, she definitely wasn't the I can't eat carbs type. She was so in shape, and could eat like a guy. "It's like everyone is waiting for the queen or something" Talia yawned. We had stayed up so late last night after dinner, we barely slept.  "Oh shit she is here, wait what is she doing with Olivia?" Rainie asked. Talia whipped her head over in their direction. "Wait, they're friends?" I was shocked. "I don't know what they are, but trust me they aren't that close" Rainie said confidently. I looked at Rain confused. "How do you know?" I asked. "Later" Rainie replied she was staring and it was obvious. Olivia and Sydney hopped out of Olivia's Porsche. 

Sydney scanned the parking lot. Who is she looking for, I thought to myself. Sydney's eyes landed on me.  "Shit, she is coming over here" Rain said. "Oh hell no, and Olivia's with her too" Talia whispered angrily. I swallowed hard, this could not be good. The other students were watching her like hawk, as she walked over to us. "You're Alexandria, right?" Sydney said snobbishly. "Um yeah" I said slowly. "So Livvy over here told me that you have a thing for Aaron?" she questioned me, but she knew the answer. "I don't know what you're talking about" I played dumb. "Bitch I know you make straight A's, so don't get stupid now" she spat out. "You two should go" Rainie glared at her. "Shut up, Rainie" Sydney yelled. Talia was fuming, I knew she was holding back. She would strike first and ask questions later. 

Once again Aaron saved the day. He pulled up in his 1961 Buick Electra, music blasting with his boys in the back. "You got lucky Al" Sydney said to me. I hated being called Al.  "I'm not scared of you, Syphilis" I looked her dead in the face. Rainie started cracking up behind me. Sydney laughed in my face. "Gosh you think you're smart don't you? Well at least I'm getting some" she smirked.  "Fuck off" Talia said. "Shut up, squirrel" Olivia said to Talia.  "That's it, I'm beating your ass" Talia grabbed her hair throwing her against the car. "Oh my god, Talia no" I tried to get in between them, but I failed. Rainie just watched the scene unfold. Sydney stood there with her mouth open. Olivia tried to slap Talia in the face, but Talia grabbed her hand twisting it. "Okay, okay" Olivia whimpered out.  "Get your sorry ass out of here" Talia let her go. Olivia ran off tears streaming down her face as the school watched her. "This isn't over" Sydney said. 

"Damn, Talia you shouldn't have done that" I yelled at her. "So you were just going to stand there and let her talk to us like that?" she yelled back. "You could have gotten hurt, and you just started something that you shouldn't have" I screamed at her. "Alright, shut up seriously" Rainie came between us " we have to stick together". I scoffed and grabbed my bag out of the car. "You can stick around with this hoodrat if you want to, I'm out." Shit I shouldn't have said that.  Rainie shook her head at me.  Talia had a hurt look on her face, she had a rough childhood and I just made her feel worse. "Wow, let's go Rain, fuck you Alex" Talia screamed as they walked off. "Oh so now you two are friends?" I yelled after them. 

I started to walk off as I saw Aaron and his friends, not too far away. He was staring at me in disbelief. I was really hoping he hadn't heard that. I could tell by the look on his face, he did. He looked surprised at me and I suddenly felt ashamed. Now the guy that I cared about, thought I was a bitch. Two points for Sydney and zero for me. I walked towards the school doors as the bell rang for first period. I had never been so embarrassed. The guy I like probably thinks the worst of me now and I possibly just lost my two best friends. 

Thanks so much for reading!! Leave comments below and vote!