2

When Hinata woke up in the hospital room with IV's in his arm and a mask over his mouth, he couldn't help but panic. 

Over the course of a few days he was in good enough condition to walk around the hospital. Hinata would be instructed by his doctor, who's name was Kanou, that he was to walk up and down the fire escape and only the fire escape. He wasn't permitted to be around the other patients in the wing. Hinata, who was sometimes a generally anxious person, found himself a little bit unnerved by walking up and down the metal stairs when it was getting dark out. The fire escape was placed in an alley way, and he hadn't quite gotten over what had happened just a week before.

When he had come to (and when he wasn't still in such a shock from being attacked from a ghoul), he was told by his mother that someone who went to investigate the screaming discovered him and a girl on the ground, who was pronounced dead on arrival. It was said on the news and pretty much was widely known now that they had both been attacked by a ghoul, who escaped. They said he was lucky to be alive with his kind of wounds. Hinata tried to tell the doctor they were wrong. He said that the girl was the ghoul, but they refused to believe him because she was dead as well. It didn't make sense because, if they didn't consider a third party getting involved, there would be no reason to have a dead ghoul on their hands.

He had come up with his own theories since then. Maybe the ghouls who showed up weren't ghouls, but angels. Maybe he was on too many pain meds. Who knows. All he did know was that he was confused. Nobody would really give him a straight up answer, or at least one that corresponded decently to what he thought happened himself. Kanou had said at one point it might have been that he had a bit of a psychological break. He used that to describe many things that were happening though, like an excuse for something he couldn't explain. And he was supposed to be one of the best doctors in the area. Yeah right.

What were the other things he was calling a 'psychological break', you might ask? Well, for one, Hinata's eating habits. Those had changed majorly. He was constantly eating before anything had happened, especially since joining volleyball in a real club and upping his practice time. By then, he had gotten his mother to pack him double the lunch he used to eat. Although, since he had the surgery, the only thing he had eaten was what he was fed almost immediately after the surgery by one of the nurses that was always following Kanou around. He assumed she was some sort of medical student who was studying. He was wrong.

Hinata remember vaguely what happened that night that she fed him. It was sweet smelling and made his head more cloudy than it already was with lust. The taste calmed a hunger inside of him that had been bothering him as he laid there, high off of painkillers and barely awake while the anesthesia wore off. The taste reminded him of his mother's vegetarian home cooking. She was always a health nut, and even though she didn't force it on him or his sister, he followed in her steps usually. And somehow, at the same time, it tasted like meat as well. It just felt familiar and comforting for some reason. It calmed him in the stressful situation.

"How was your walk?" Kanou asked, writing things on his club board as he simultaneously checked something with my IV's. He had just reattached them, which was incredibly uncomfortable for Hinata. The cold metal and the tape on his inner arm made him squirm with discomfort. Once he had finished, he sat down in a rolling stool that was always stored beside Hinata's hospital bed.

"Fine." Hinata replied softly. He had found himself becoming a little more introverted than he used to be, but that was just another thing Kanou had blamed on his head being messed with due to the nature of his injury. After all, he had gotten an organ transplant, after being attacked by a ghoul. At least they weren't trying to tell Hinata he wasn't really a victim of a ghoul, or it would really be messing with his head.