Part 1

This story is dedicated to shethetigress cover!

~TH~

The breeze was a pleasant break on the warm summer evening. Boom! The first set of fireworks caused everyone to jump. The small white building seemed glamourous under the fireworks. The lake reflected the colours sending chills down Elizabeth's spine. Elizabeth Thatcher looked around for her fiance Jack Thornton. He had promised to meet her here. Walking up to her good friend Abigail Stanton she continued looking for her beu. "Is everything okay Elizabeth?" Abigail asked concerned.

"Have you seen Jack?" she responded, "He was supposed to be here." She was always worried about her Mountie fiance.

"No, but I'm sure he'll be here soon." Abigail smiled.

"I could go look for him if you like." Pastor Frank Hogan replied.

"No, I wouldn't want you to..."

"Oh, It's no bother." He said smiling. As he began to leave Rosemary and Lee Coulter joined the small group.

"Don't tell me your leaving so soon Pastor." Lee commented.

"Yes, we have so much more planned for the evening!" Rosemary bubbled.

"I just need to head back in town for something." Frank nodded.

"Do you mind if I joined you?" Lee asked.

"Not at all, would enjoy the company."

"Do you have to go Lee?" Rosemary complained.

"Yes, dear. I left something in my office that I need to get. I'll be quick." He gave his wife a quick kiss as the two men saddled up their horses and left for town. Rosemary huffed.

"I don't understand what couldn't wait until morning!" She crossed her arms bitterly. Abigail and Elizabeth rolled their eyes. They loved Rosemary but she could be a handful. Just then another set of fireworks went off. A young girl nearly knocked Elizabeth over as she ran and clung to her skirt.

"Opal! What's the matter?" She asked the small girl.

"Brownie's scared of the fireworks." the timid voice responded.

"Well would it make Brownie feel better if I watched the fireworks with him?" Opal nodded. Elizabeth smiled as she took the girls hand in her own. They walked over to the steps of the School and Elizabeth set Opal in her lap. It was a beautiful night, she just wished she could shake the overwhelming feeling of dread.

~ ~ ~ 

Elizabeth was going to kill him. That was all he could think about as he hurried towards the livery stable. He had promised to meet her at the school. If it hadn't been for Bill Avery stopping by he probably would have forgotten all together. Boom! The first set of fireworks brought him back into reality. He quickened his pace to where Bill was waiting for him. Boom! He was confused when colours did not light up the sky in the distance. Pain. Pain he hadn't known in a long time. Not fireworks, a gunshot, and he had been hit. He felt a burning pain cut through his chest as he fell to the ground. White hot agony ripping through him.

Six more consecutive shots were fired. Jack turned his head slightly and saw a man fall to the ground. Bill rushed up to him. "Jack, Jack can you hear me?" the former Mountie called.

"E-Elizabeth." He stammered in response.

"Jack, it's Bill Averys."

"E-Elizabeth." he whispered again.

"Elizabeth's not here right now. Just hold on okay?" Bill took off his light sweater and placed it over the hole in the Mounties chest. He applied some pressure causing Jack to gasp. Bill grabbed Jack's hand with his free one and held on tight. He had seen injuries like this before, very few ever survived. The Constable began gasping for breath.

"Wha-what happened." he coughed.

"You've been shot. Why? I don't know. I took care of him though." He glanced back at the body a few feet away. Bill could hear Jack's breathing getting shallower. "You'll be okay Jack. Just hold on."

"No I-I don't think so. Tell-tell Elizabeth, I'm sorry." Jack squeezed Bill's hand. He took another shallow breath. Exhaling slowly, before taking in another one. He breathed out. The hand went slack. Not a single movement. All was quiet.