Part 9

Sorry, this is coming out so late, I'm a terrible procrastinator. Thanks so much for almost 600 views! I hope you enjoy this chapter. 

God bless,

Trekkiehood

~TH~

It was almost an hour before they headed over to the infirmary. Jack had begun to wonder if Elizabeth had fallen asleep in his arms. When she finally pulled away from him she gave a light smile that didn't cover up her tired eyes. "Would you like me to walk you home?" He asked her. She shook her head.

"I want to find out what's going on first," she replied. Jack nodded and took her hand as they left Abigail's sitting room. They first went over to the jail. When they found it empty they decided that he had probably been taken to the infirmary.

Everyone was there except Rosemary, who had agreed to stay at the house with Cody so Abigail could go. It was surprisingly quiet for so many people. Carson was holding a stethoscope to the chest of Kane Teller. The man on the bed moaned slightly, prompting the doctor to whisper something comforting. Wrapping the stethoscope around his neck Carson turned to the many questioning faces. Running his fingers through his hair, he answered their unasked question.

"I believe Kane has something called a coronary heart disease. It's disease where there is build up in his arteries causing blood to get trapped and not reaching his heart. When caught in its early stages, you have a change, but I'm afraid it's gone too far for anything to be done." He shook his headed saddened. The people gathered looked at each other.

Bill asked the what everyone was thinking. "Are you saying he's going to die?"

"Yes, and to be honest, he'll be lucky if he makes it through the hour. His heart is very weak." Carson sighed. He hated losing patients. While there wasn't anything he could do, he still had a sense of self-blame. He hoped that someday we would make the medical advances needed to save lives in these circumstances.

"Could I speak to him?" Jack spoke for the first time.  Carson shrugged. 

"Be my guest." he motioned towards the bed. 

Jack began to walk towards the man. "Would you guys mind waiting outside for a minute?" He asked. Nobody moved. "Please?"

"Jack are you sure that's wise?" Lee asked. "I mean he did just shoot at you, not to mention holding a gun to Elizabeth..." his voice trailed off. Jack gave them all a weak smile.

"You heard the doctor. He's weak, about to die even. I don't think he's going to be causing any trouble." his voice wavered slightly at this. Everybody gave a defeated look and headed outside. Elizabeth held onto his arm, refusing to let go. He kissed her head lightly and she broke away.

"Just be careful," she whispered.

"I will," he answered back. Elizabeth left leaving only Jack, Carson, and Kane. 

"I really need to stay in here, but I will give you privacy. Just call me if you need anything." Carson headed to the other side of the room where he busied himself with reorganizing his medicine cabinet. 

Jack slowly walked up to the bed, looking down at the man who had caused him so much anxiety over the last several hours. The man, seeming to sense his presence, opened his eyes a sliver. Jack spoke first. "He was a good man, your brother," he said in a quiet voice.

"I, I know he was." came the reply even quieter. "I loved my brother, I loved him a lot." Jack nodded. 

"I'm sorry he died. I sometimes wonder if my life was worth it. I don't know. He deserved to live his life." Jack's voice cracked slightly as he felt tears coming to his eyes. 

"I didn't think you were, but I'm starting to wonder." the man gasped. "You're a good man Constable Thornton. A much better man that I could ever be." Kane closed his eyes.  "I remember when I was a child, my mother used to read me the Bible. I remember asking Jesus for forgiveness.  I suppose I strayed from it's teaching.  But, He forgives all sins, and right now I'm mighty glad He does." He let out a short laugh. "I don't suppose you could ever forgive me." he almost pleaded.

Jack looked down at the man, "I-I," he faltered, this man had almost taken his Elizabeth away. But, could he really blame him? If something happened to Tom, he would have felt the same way towards the person responsible. "I forgive you Kane." he finished. The man opened his eyes a crack as a smile came to his face.

"Thank you, just, thank you." the man closed his eyes as he breathed his final breath. As his life slipped away, he could smile, he was forgiven.

~TH~

So what did you think? I know this chapter was a bit different, but I felt it needed to be written. I plan to try to wrap up the story in the next chapter. If you enjoyed this chapter please give me a vote and a comment!

God bless,

Trekkiehood