Part 7

Two chapters in one day! This chapter is different as it is sort of a flashback. It takes place during Jack's time up North and kind of fills in a few things. Feel free to correct me if I made any mistakes. Thanks so much!

God bless,

Trekkiehood

~TH~

A Year Ago

Thd bullets whizzed in every direction. He was just as likely to be killed by friendly fire as enemy. Caos had become the normality in the northern territories, but even this was worse than usual. Men of both sides littered the ground, giving their life for a cause they believed in. Something Jack Thornton wouldn't allow to happen to himself. He aimed his gun at someone hiding behind a tree, he had always been a good shot, but this was going to test his skill. The gangs had the upper ground, not to mention the countless trees and rocks to hide behind. His unit had so few places to hide. He fired his gun and watched as the man fell. He hated this. Shots continued to fire in every direction. Fear gripped his heart. He had to make it home, he needed to make it home to Elizabeth, he promised. This was a promise he intended to keep.

The fighting was getting worse, not better. Men were falling left and right. They needed to get out of there. He signalled for retreat. It was the only option left. Mounties turned and fled at full speed. He had no idea how many of his men had escaped. He hoped they all did but had seen too many battles to actually believe that. Putting aside all the doubts he concentrated on riding to safety. Wes Teller pulled his horse beside the Constable. He was the youngest man in the unit, only nineteen. But, he was as brave a man as one could know. Jack had spent many nights with this young talking of home. The Constable admired the young man as well as envied the closeness he had with his brothers. It was a closeness he had lost with his own.

In a moment Jack's world seemed to slow. It was strange how even in the middle of a battle a single shot could ring out, a single bullet become so noticeable. He breathed out slowly as he saw the bullet slowly inch towards his heart. It was too late. There was nothing he could do. He only hoped Elizabeth could forgive him. Suddenly he felt his entire body slam to the ground.A heavy weight pinned him to the ground. He could feel the sticky wetness of blood. Pushing off the weight he realized it was a body. The body of Wes Teller. There was panic in the young boy's eyes as he took in a few ragged tried to calm the boy. The young man closed his eyes taking in a few more painful breaths. Jack could feel the tears coming to his eyes. The boy's eyes opened a sliver before closing for the last time. Jack sat there with him, ignoring the battle going on around them, as Wes took his last breath, and died. The tears broke through as he looked at the boy. This young man was only there because of him, and now he was dead. He closed his eyes against the pain. Opening them again he became aware of the war zone he was in as several bullets whizzed past his head. Gathering the body he put him up on his horse and got on behind him. He would not leave his body on this bloody battlefield. As he headed back to his troops, he couldn't stop the tears that flowed freely. He had survived but at the cost of a young boy. It wasn't fair. Jack knew he couldn't dwell on it. There was nothing that could be done, however, he made a decision. No one would ever die at his expense again. It was a promise he made to himself. But it was a promise he intended to keep.

~TH~

Like I said, a short chapter, but I feel it was a necessary one. Let me know what you think!

God bless,

Trekkiehood