II

CHAPTER 2

I stared at my mom's retreating car, hoping that my stare will bore a hole on those tires of hers. After filing my belongings inside the house, she said that she needs to get back for work. She didn't even bother helping me unpack. Thanks a lot, Mom.

  The house was surprisingly nice from the inside, except for the creepy vibe that it gives.  All the furnitures were covered in white cloth. And the floor squeaks every time my tiny feet steps on it.

I practically run up the stairs because I'm afraid that some kind of monster will chase me. Am I the only one who thinks that way?

There are three bedrooms upstairs and mom told me I can pick whatever room I want since I'm the only who will live here. I picked the first room because it's the largest among the others, and not to mention the nearest to the stairs.

I bolted inside my room, panting. Honestly, I don't really know why I'm running. Maybe because I feel like someone or something is watching me.

I shook my head to erase the thought and dropped myself on the double bed. Thick layer of dust puffed around me. I coughed frantically cause I feel like I swallowed a dust.  

It took me two minutes before I stopped coughing. For a minute there I thought I'm going to choke to death.

I got a pocket full of sunshine

I got a love and I know that it's all mine, oh.

Do what you want but you're never gonna break me

Sticks and stones are never gonna shake me, oh, oh oh oh

I got a pocket, got a-

I pull out my phone from the pocket and saw Zoe calling. "Hello?" I greeted.

"CARRA!" Zoe shouted, I have to lean away from my phone.

"Jesus, Zoe can you please calm down?" I said. Climbing out of the bed and sat on the rotating chair.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry." She squealed. "So, how's your new house?"

"Oh! It's wonderful." I said with the hint of sarcasm. Faking a british accent.

I can imagine her rolling her eyes at the phone. "C'mon Carra. It's not that bad." She sighed. "I guess?"

"Not that bad? NOT. THAT. BAD?" I snapped. "Yeah right, like living in a dog house is not that bad." I said mimicking her voice.

"Oh! Did you know William goes to Roosevelt U?" She said, changing the subject.

"William who?"

"William Harrolds. You know, the guy who was chasing after you since freshmen year?" She told me.

"I don't think I know anyone who goes by that name." I replied, scrunching my nose.

"That's because you ignore everyone who asked you out." She said slowly. I unconsciously rolled my eyes at the phone. "There were like a hundred of guys who were willing to take you out but you blocked them out! Anyway, William Harrolds, Lord of the nerds, gigantic mouth braces, and magnifying glasses, ring the bell?"

I met Zoe a few weeks after the freshmen year starts. She's in most of my classes, I thought that she was nice because she has a lot of friends even though school just started but I didn't bother talking to her.  I was walking down the hall when I saw her petite figure standing in front of a group of senior boys with her arms spread out. A boy was helplessly slumped on the floor that resembles a worn out punching bag behind her.