Going Down

"Mrs. Holloway, please tell us why you think you are the right fit for this position," 

I cast a glance at Ethan on the other side of the conference table; He was trying not to chuckle at the word position. 

"Well, I'm very personable," I shifted in my sheet and plastered on my best smile, "I'm driven and dedicated. I won't stop until the job is done and I've excelled in every position I've had the pleasure of being put in." The look on Ethan's face was priceless. 

"Is that so?"

"I believe it is," 

The older gentleman across from me nodded his head in acceptance and shuffled through the papers that contained the information of my entire working life. I wondered if they had a note of when I threw a spatula at a guy in Wendy's. 

"I see here that you haven't really invested your time in bringing new clients to the firm," He pushed his glasses further up his narrow nose, "You've made two sales since you've been here."

I cleared my throat to respond but I was cut off.

"The other few applicants all have significant business deals under their belts already, what makes you more qualified?" 

I looked at Ethan but his expression was stone cold for the first time since we entered the room. When I realized that he would be no help and that they were still waiting for my answer I did what I knew best, improvise. 

"Unlike my peers, I don't view this position as just a pay raise with a corner office and company car. This is my dream and this is my future. I'm not chasing after the newest perk or offer someone can dish out." I gripped my hands together in my lap, "I may not have the top record but I am resilient and loyal to a fault. That's not something everyone can claim."

The man pinched his lips together, "While that's very nice, I don't see why we should put our faith in someone who failed to meet the criteria for this job." 

"I-"

"You're dismissed."

I swallowed down the screams forming in my throat and left before I could lose all control.

The door shut behind me as I rushed to the elevator. Ethan was on my heels as I marched down the hall. I was already in the elevator by the time he caught up with me. 

"Tara," He said while preventing the doors from closing, "It's not the end of the world,"

"Easy to say coming from you," 

"What's that suppose to mean?"

"You're the CEO," I said bitterly, "You don't have to worry about getting humiliated like that,"

"How do you think I got to where I am? It wasn't magic." 

I scoffed, "You knew, didn't you?"

"Knew what?"

"That they were going to turn me down immediately,"

Ethan looked away from me and sighed, "It wasn't a surprise,"

"You fucking run the company and you didn't think to say something?" 

"No, I didn't. For this reason exactly." 

"Excuse me?"

"Maybe now you'll put in a little more effort," His words were like ice piercing my heart.

"What does that mean?" 

"It means that if you focused a bit more on your job and not ambushing your superiors in elevators things might have gone more your way,"

I let my mouth hang open, "Wow," My fingers raked through my hair, "Y'know it's really great to know what you actually think." I smacked the close door button but that only made the elevator give a high pitched squeal. 

"Tara-"

"No, it's good. All this time I thought you were this dignified businessman, It's good to know that underneath that you're just a raging prick." 

"Those do seem to be your type," He spat.

I clutched my fist at my side, "At least one of you could make me come." 

Ethan let go of the doors and pushed his way inside, "That's it, isn't it? You're mad because I'm not going to bend over backward to please you." 

"What?"

"I'm not going to compromise my ethics or jeopardize my company to make you happy," 

I laughed, "So the office, the breakroom, the elevator, that was all you being an upstanding boss?" 

He smacked the button panel and stopped the elevator. I stood my ground and stared back into his burning eyes. 

"Alright, fine," He snapped, "You want special treatment? You have until the end of this day to bring in one high dollar client. Otherwise, you're fired," 

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," I pushed back, "That's impossible,"

"Why don't you just strip for them? I'm sure someone will think you're worth it," 

I clenched my jaw, "Well if they want to see an asshole I'll be sure to send them right to you," I hit the button and the elevator was back on its way down. 

Ethan laughed, "That's hilarious, Tara. You know what, I think you should go home right now and tell that joke to your cat." 

"I don't have a cat," 

"Oh really, I would imagine that will all the pussy you hand out someone would finally hand one back to you." 

The doors chimed and I fought back the urge to knee him in the groin, "You're going to be sorry for this,"

Despite the last ten minutes, Ethan's face was expressionless. "Somehow I don't think that's true." 

I left with my dignity in tow. Thanking God that I didn't get escorted out again.

-------------------------------------

After the interview from hell and an hour of channel surfing, I was sprawled out on my cereal crumb covered couch. The grumbling only left me that much more bitter. A big client in less than twelve hours? He was insane. 

Not insane, smug and on a power trip. I growled as I slid off my couch face first before crawling back to the kitchen for my emergency ice cream. I dug out a spoon from the dishwasher and tossed a blanket over my shoulder. I looked like a depressed Roman emperor on a sugar kick.

On my way to the bedroom, I turned my head, only to get a glimpse of the pink neon sign flickering on for the night. I licked the spoon clean and stuck it back into the carton. I grabbed my phone and dialed a number that had been left untouched for far too long.

The other line picked up and a girl with a perky southern accent thanked me for calling. "Kitty," I said while staring at the people line up at the front door, "I have an idea." A smile stretched across my lips.