Chapter One

It started a month or so after she shut the door in his face and left him on that barren planet. They both thought the connection between them was broken with Snoke dead, he had created it in the first place. About a week after Kylo Ren declared he wanted to rule the galaxy with Rey, he realized the connection still existed. How else could he have appeared before her despite still being in the abandoned rebel base?

He began to concentrate on controlling it, he didn't know why. Maybe he wanted to lash out at her, maybe plead his case, but he knew he had to see her. Once in his room at night, alone and in peace, he would reach out.

Finally, on the third night, he was successful. He finally saw her, standing before him. Her back was turned to him, but once she sensed his presence she whipped around. She wasn't happy to see him. She screamed for all she was worth, told him to leave at once, not to bother her again. He simply told her he would return, and she warned him to stay away.

Rey POV:

When it became apparent to Rey that he had learned to control the connection between them, she made it her mission to block him out. She couldn't handle seeing him. For those brief and relief filled few minutes, when he was fighting with her and had protected her from Snoke, she thought he would return with her, and she would tell of how he had turned his back to the First Order and saved her life. And then he asked her to rule at his side, she refused.

After he didn't return again for a week, she concluded that the effort she put into breaking the connection worked. She just hoped she was right, and he wasn't biding his time and waiting to make a reappearance.

Kylo POV:

She was blocking him out, he could feel it. Try as he might, he couldn't break through to see her. Her anger with him was too strong and was fueling the wall she put up. Even so, he continued to try. Maybe he would catch her in a weak moment or she would finally just give up and let him in.

One night, he was preparing for bed. He was exhausted, being the new Supreme Leader came with many more responsibilities. He sat on the edge of his bed and ran his hands through his hair, sighing and ready for a deep sleep. He stood and turned to the side, and there she was.

He hadn't even made an effort to see her. She was just there, and sleeping heavily. He wondered if she called to him subconsciously, or if she had accidentally let her guard down.

That was when she woke up, startled at not knowing where she was, bolting up and becoming very alert. She slowly turned to see him standing and watching her.

"This is impossible, I severed this connection." She looked at him accusingly.

"Apparently not." Kylo said with an air of arrogance.

"Leave me alone." She turned away from him. She was trying to block him out again and go back to wherever she really was.

He didn't know what to say, this was a very unexpected visit. He never had a plan of what to say to her anyway, so he just watched her in silence.

Apparently she could feel him staring her down so she threw up her hands and turned around.

"Well what do you want?" She demanded, walking back to him.

He didn't have anything to say, he couldn't think of what would make her understand him. Understand why he did what he did. His choice killed her inside, he knew it. She saw so much potential him, he couldn't fathom why but she did. He would never see in himself what she did.

Without a word, he stepped forward into her personal space. She didn't back down. She wasn't afraid of him, she knew he wouldn't hurt her, and he found it alluring. She simply started into his eyes.

He took another step forward, close enough that if he simply raised his hand, he would touch her.

So he did.

Her hair was down and showered her shoulders. He reached a hand up to brush it back, touching her neck in the process.

They both felt it, the electricity that coursed through them at that one touch. He froze his hand and looked into her eyes, where there had been determination and anger seconds before, there was now surprise and vulnerability. She felt it too, it sent a wave down her spine.

He brushed her cheek with a thumb and leaned closer, slowly asking for permission. When she didn't move away he kissed her once, to see what it felt like.

Nothing had ever been so exhilarating for him. He thought the greatest release of pain and tension had been when he had used his lightsaber to rid himself of his father, he thought that was the great solution to his problem. No, it was here, this. He had been wrong.

He pulled away and her eyes remained closed, she released a breath she had been holding and looked up at him.

She gripped his arm just above his elbow, and they both leaned in at once, touching foreheads and breathing deeply. This was entirely new territory.

"Ben." She said his given name as softly as he had ever heard her speak.

He inhaled deeply and opened his eyes to stare at her. She hadn't called him that since before he turned his back to her.

It was all downhill from there, an unspoken agreement between them that this was the release they had been seeking. While they were together, everything melted away. The war, the loss, the agony of the weight they both had to bear, and most importantly, the fact that they were meant to be the worst of enemies.

They almost never spoke, most nights they would find each other and fall into bed. They both knew the inevitable was coming, one day the war would come to an end, and one of them would lose, and maybe pay the ultimate price for their cause. But until that moment came, they found what they needed in each other.