9. Down the rabbit hole

"Rule number two: Do not fight your gifts and capabilities. They were given to you for a reason; don't make us regret giving it to you. Embrace being a Transcendent. There will be a lot of factors that tug at your heartstrings; that will make you want to run away. A lot of people love running away – the savior will be one of those people. Something doesn't go her way – she runs. It's called Drapetomania – the overwhelming urge to run away. She's a runner, because she's afraid to hurt people with her gifts; terrified that she'll die; and fears that the darkness will win. Kenny Loggins once said, 'Running away will never make you feel free.' He's absolutely right. Running doesn't solve the issue – it makes it worse. Transcendents don't stray away from a fight."

- Transcendent Book of Life

My words echoed in my mind. Darkness is along the horizon. Beware. In the shadows lurk the devil himself. Be a light and destroy; because something wicked this way comes. It's as if I was reciting a prophecy I read about when I was a little girl. Am I wrong to be muddled? Worried about everyone's wellbeing? Destroying those books won't change a thing. In fact, it'll do the exact opposite and cause on-going complications. Despite everything, all our answers are defined to those pages in the missing volumes – and we can't afford to cut our losses now. More than ever, we need answers and not a long string of secrets to develop – so they can't burn those books. I'll just have to suck it up and wait for the other shoe to drop; and in the meantime – I will get back on track and focus on growing in numbers – so I can destroy the one thing I fear the most: darkness.

"Em, can we please reconsider what you asked us to do? Those books...they have answers...answers we need."

"I know."

"So, that's all you're going to say?"

"What do you want me to say, Eddie? That I know we need answers and if we destroy any potential clue – that we will lose this war. Is that what you want me to say? Speak up for once in your life."

"Yes. That is exactly what I want you to say. The world doesn't revolve around you sunshine. Take in account the risks that would develop if we carried out your request."

"God damn, Eddie. Way to kick a girl when she's down. Don't you think I know this? Do you really believe...?" I say before I'm interrupted with a sharp pain in my side. Shaking the feeling off, I continue with "That I don't care? That I believe in rainbows...and butterflies with a mindset...of a dainty little girl? Grow the hell up." The pain in my side increased as my stress went on; but I rubbed it away before settling down in my rocking chair. "Find Gus and bring him to me. That's...an order." I gasped as the pain lingered for a few minutes. Not a good sign. Pain is never a good thing.

"Fine." Then he storms out of the house; almost breaking the door. Super strength, I suppose?

∞ ∞ ∞ ∞

A few hours later, a slender guy with short dark hair; and wispy blue eyes is presented to me in the common room. My cousin. We have the same eyes. "What the hell am I doing here? I don't like being uprooted from my daily routine and brought to a mysterious house."

Rolling my eyes, "You weren't doing anything notable. Stop complaining."

"I don't know who you think you are...but what the actual hell?"

"There's that pestering attitude. That for one needs to stop. Do you honestly want to know why I of all people brought you here? You and I are cousins."

"Whatever you're smoking – it's caused brain damage. No we're not...unless you're the daughter of Chloe Anderson."

"It's Kolding now. Yes that would be me."