11. Not your Alice

"Rule number four: a leader creates the rules and enforces them. When our leader is of age to take on the responsibility – she will create a mass amount of rules despite the war brewing in the background. Our leader will be confused at first – but don't underestimate her. She may not be your Alice, but she is ours. A fighter. A survivor. Without her in your back pocket – kneel and face defeat and the fact that Transcendents will become extinct. Willoughby is just one town. Not everyone is a born a ghost. Some are Delphians. Some are Curs. The rest are the creatures of the night. Plato once said, 'Courage is knowing what not to fear.' Don't fear your leader – embrace her. While Warren Buffett stated, 'Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing.' I encourage you as an elder to guide your leader in her transformation; and to see the new world that she creates. One last thing, Eleanor Roosevelt said, 'With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.' Your leader will be resilient. A dreamer. Someone that will fight for justice. Right someone's wrong. Don't lose hope in the future."

- Transcendent Book of Life

Looking around the room, I notice the edges of my vision are splotchy.

I'm dreaming.

A vision?

The lights aren't working in the hospital room and there's this constant buzzing sound. Slinking out of bed, I limp down the hallway towards the sound. Papers were casted on the floor; while chunks of the wall were torn out. What on god's earth happened? The hospital looks vacant. Turning the corner, I come face to face with the room that held the buzzing sound. "Hello?" Are you trying to get yourself killed? No one calls out to anyone in an abandoned hospital. Have you never seen any horror movies? What is wrong with you? Wrong with me – ha you're funny. I'm a risky-kind-of-person. Get used to it. Your funeral.

Entering the room, I see a single person sitting on the bed. His shoulder was badly torn and bleeding profusely. Dark hair. Broad shoulders. In a lot of pain if I had to guess. "Hello? Are you okay?" The figure turns around and I drop to the cold, tile floor. "Matty?"

"Em? What are you doing here?"

"Am I dead?"

"Not exactly. Emma, you need to leave."

"Dad killed you. You should be dead."

"This isn't the time or place to discuss that. Leave before they come for you."

Shaking my head in disbelief, he jumps off the bed and bends down to my level; grabbing my hands with tears bursting at the corners of his eyes. "I love you. Everything I ever did for you was to protect you. I cannot protect you from them if you are here. Please leave. The Delphians aren't who you should be afraid of. People are getting taken left and right; and I encourage you to get out of town."

"You talk to me as if you're still alive. Still around to boss me around. Stop. Why should I even listen to you?" I sob while in his arms. A place I thought was yearning for all these years. Matty slept with the enemy and got killed for it. That single event caused a ripple effect for Transcendents everywhere. "I'm the leader of all Transcendents."

"Em, there will not be any Transcendents to govern. Listen to me for once. Unplug those ears of yours. Diana is next to be taken. Protect her and luck will be on your side – but you need to leave now." Orders Matty. The dream was starting to fade as a single tear slid down my cheek.

∞ ∞ ∞ ∞

"Diana??" I whispered as I came to. A nurse came to check my levels and asked, "Who is Diana, darling? A friend of yours?" I nod and point to my phone. She then places it into the palm of my hand and smiles before leaving me alone.