10. Every Rose has It's Thorn

"Rule number three is: do not lash out in anger or revenge. Transcendents aren't born to wage war and kill people. There will come times where your hands will be tied and you will want to gain vengeance over something or for someone – don't do it. That vengeance we urge you not to build on is a way of deflecting or replacing grief. Grief isn't something you can control at will – merely something you can push out of your mind. Someone once stated, 'the past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.' Don't let your past prevent you from living your life. With losing someone, comes survivor's guilt. Use it, because it'll benefit you regardless of whether or not it is right. Marcus Tullius Cicero said, 'the life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living.' Live for them – don't parade on their grave and legacy. Transcendents value each other."

- Transcendent Book of Life

"Eddie..."

That was the last thing I remember going through my mind before everything went pitch black. Am I dead? In some sort of after life? Heaven or hell? Blinking my eyes open, I attempt to move my right arm to reposition myself; but it was pointless. Rolling my neck, I tighten my face as I wince in pain. Every part of my badly injured body was tingling and the pain continued to be excruciating. How'd I even get here?

Taking a big gulp, I yawn before slowly glancing around; as the images were still blurry – but a beeping sound gave me hope. "Oh my god, you're awake." Exclaimed Eddie as he clasped my hand tightly with his.

"Give her space, Eddie."

"Nikki, I never want to give her space again. You saw how it looked out there."

"Maybe you two want to take the quarrel down the hall? We did find her outside in a pool of blood while it was freezing out. Give her space." Insisted Gus as he closed his book.

"Maybe we should let Eddie be with Em by herself? Yeah, everyone else let's go get something to drink. Now." Ordered Diana politely before gathering the troops down the hall.

Looking over at Eddie, I smile at him – but he doesn't smile back. The nightmare. It wasn't fake. That actually happened.

The unthinkable came to life and it all could have been prevented. I could have stayed home and not risked everything; and now Eddie has to confirm my nightmare.

"Hey you."

"I'm sorry." I coughed out as I pull myself up in the bed; suffering from minor shocks of pain all over my body.

"How long were you feeling sharp pains in your side, Em?" His question tickled my fancy. It started earlier yesterday when we were discussing burning the books. How was I so careless? I should have gone to the doctors to make sure it wasn't something serious.

"Yesterday."

"Why didn't you tell me?"
"When? You wouldn't listen to me or hear me out about anything. Eddie, why would I tell you that I had constant sharp pain in my side? That I had an inkling something was wrong; but I was too obsessed with creating an accord and solving our war problem."

"Do you remember what happened last night? You went to meet up with Poppy..."

"It was all a ploy to confirm her theory. The one about Sebastian. Once she figured out that I was truly pregnant; since being at a clinic doesn't confirm it; then she ordered her filthy minions to take me out. I waged a war on her and her people; and she didn't take well to it."

"When she ordered her minions to kill you...you ran, didn't you?"

Smiling a half smile, I say "Of course I did. What do you think? I'm a runner. It's in my blood; but Eddie I tripped and the pain increased before everything went black. I thought I died. Actually, I did."