8: drinks

Three steps forward.

Two more steps.

A half step to the left.

One more step forward.

Look up.

Four small spaces to cross.

Keep your pace, don't rush.

Don't spill your drink.

You're almost there.

"Took you long enough, what drink did you get?"

"I wasn't sure what to order since I've never been here so I just decided on a hot chocolate because you can't really go wrong with them and I forgot to ask for whip but that's okay because I don't really mind it, now that I think about it, I should've asked for your opinion on what to get since it seems like you've been here more than once, and gosh, I'm rambling, I'm so sorry-" I stop, covering my mouth with both hands and mentally punching myself in the throat.

In the corner of my eye, I could see a soft smile playing at her lips. I clear my throat and try to manage a smile even though my heart was racing.

"There's no need to apologize. I wouldn't know what to suggest anyhow, my mood fluctuates with my drink choices. I decided on a latte today because I woke up late this morning." Her eyes never leave mine, eyes so shiny, they look glossy as if she was tearing up. Her voice is just as soft, like a feather running up my spine inciting gentle shivers.

"Do you wake up late in the morning a latte?" I blurt, biting down on my tongue hard after it rolls off, embarrassed once more by my inability to control the words that come to mind. To my surprise, she laughs. A giggle that isn't in the slightest considered the stereotypical feminine, but a half bubbling giggle and half pig snort that made something blossom in my chest and crack a smile too.

I think I'm swooning when she goes, "Quite often, my alarm clock has bean slacking."