11: listen

My hands shook with every little movement, proving the anxiety I refused to acknowledge. There was no reason for me to be anxious, no reason to watch out for every small detail and every sound that went through one ear and trapped in my mind. My skin prickled as the world moved around me, my heart racing as I tried to register all the was going on. I was unsure to why everything suddenly felt so overwhelming when I had been doing fine all day.

My mind felt like I was continuously spinning and trying to swallow at the same time. Like an egg being horribly cracked open but instead of going directly into the frying pan, it spills over the side and breaks the yolk. Just like the feeling of your sock slipping over your foot in your shoe or the permanent feeling of falling when you're half asleep. I could feel my thoughts bubbling up my throat and threatening to spill.

I screwed my eyes shut, picking my brain for something that contrasted against the black behind my eyelids.

Moon buns, brown hair with slivers of electric blue with small curls framing a round face.

My body felt hot all over for a sudden and it took me a minute to realize rather than what I thought was horrid burning was an embarrassing blush. My heart pounding in my chest with every echoing sound of her laughter. It's been a week since the first day of school and that endearing night that I realized love at first sight truly is possible.

I've only seen Arabella a handful of times since, short glances and shy smiles before being whisked away into the crowd of rowdy teenagers socializing and trying to get to class. It never occurred to me that I should've gotten a number from her and she prolly thinks that I don't like her but that wouldn't make sense because she kissed me and I walked her home and everything was so nice and I've never felt so calm in my life.

She made me feel so content and I'm sort of really scared of her because I've never met someone who's made me feel so nice in my entire eighteen years of living, not even hugging my mom, or my grandma kissing my forehead, or Gemma squeezing my hand. It was a different kind of calm, like a overflowing pot of water that finally lowered to a simmer. Like when you're relaxing in the park and you can see the breeze gently swaying the flowers and there's so mnay fluffy clouds in the sky and the sun is so warm.

And god, the way her voice so openly flows out of her peach colored lips. She sounds like something I used to feel.