Chapter 1

Disclaimer: I don't own Waterloo road or any of its characters. I started this on another site years ago but having forgot my password I can't update. I have a lot already written but as it was an original story it may take time to alter character names.

In a school yard of a small town, everything was quiet and calm; the sun was shining, the sky was blue and clear of clouds and a gentle breeze kept the temperature cool. With only a couple of hundred children accepted, the classes were small with minimum distruption; and very rare to see, a headteacher who cared about the children's personal problems. Sat at her desk in her office, she had shoulder length auburn hair, sparkling blue eyes and her hands typing away on her laptop. Having been headteacher at Waterloo Road school for five years, she knew this was where she belonged, where she was accepted; she ran her long fingers through her left loose hair as she stood up and walked over to the window. She didn't really care about wearing anything really smart or posh because she knew she'd probably be dealing with something where her appearance didn't matter; but today she had decided to wear her black jacket and trousers with her knee length black boots - which she was forever running around in. She smiled as she took in the scenery outside, trying to remember what her secondary school looked liked and whether it was as peaceful as this school was; there was a knock on the door and it opened.

"Miss Mason, there's a situation in the canteen" her secretary, Bridget said.

"Thank you Bridget"

As Bridget went back to her desk, Rachel went hurriedly downstairs where a fight had broken out between two girls which her deputy, Kim Campbell, had to tried to break up.

"THIS STOPS RIGHT NOW!" Rachel shouted as the canteen went silent and the fighting ceased. "Everyone to their lessons, except you two" she pointed.

As everyone started to disperse out, she stood in front of the two girls with her arms crossed and legs together, her facial expression clearly showed she was not happy. Her eyebrows raised into a stern look as she still awaited sone kind of explanation.

"Well, I'm still waiting"

Both girls stood in silence, avoiding eye contact with each other and with Rachel and Kim. The taller girl had long black hair tied back into a ponytail and a look that clearly said 'I don't care'; the shorter girl had shoulder length plaits and an upset expression on her face. She looked down at her shoes as she tried to fight back the tears; she fell down to the ground as the taller girl, Rebecca, started on her again.

"I SAID ENOUGH!" Rachel shouted as she pulled Rebecca off and knelt at the side of the shorter girl, Nikki, to check she was okay.

"Kim, will you escort Rebecca to my office please?" she said as she looked up at her.

"Course, come on you" Kim said before leading Rebecca out of the canteen.

Rachel turned back to Nikki and helped her onto one of the chairs before getting some tissue and handing it to her as she sat next to her.

"Nikki, did Rebecca start on you?"

There was no answer as Nikki wiped her eyes and looked down at her lap.

"I can't help if you don't tell me"

Again, there was silence; Rachel sighed as she looked at Nikki. She knew she was hiding something but she could also tell that whatever it was, it was upsetting her and clearly affecting her state of mind.

"Okay, let's go" she said as she stood up.

"Where?" Nikki asked, looking at her.

"To the cooler; if you're not going to talk, you can stay in there and write me a two thousand word essay on why you think it is okay to fight in school"

"Fine"

As Nikki followed her to the cooler, she knew she had to sort things out; leaving Nikki, she headed to her office where she sat on her chair opposite Rebecca with her hands clapsed together on the desk.

"You can go now Kim; I'll deal with it from here"

"Okay"

As Kim left, Rachel pulled out Rebecca's file and opened it; she looked up at her and saw her smirk.

"You can take that smirk off your face for a start; you are already in big trouble..."