Chapter 14

She accompanied her to the prison where they sat in a private room and waited; Rachel took Nikki's hand as the door opened and Richard came in and sat opposite them, an officer stood by the door.

"It's so good to see you honey"

"Don't...Don't honey me"

"I've been hoping you'd come...how's your mom?" He asked, innocently.

"Dead...because of you; don't you even mention her again"

"Honey..."

"Why? Why dad?"

"You don't understand"

"Too right I dont; my mom is dead and you killed her"

"She hated me, accused me of hurting you"

"You were. i was physically terrified of you; scared of doing the wrong thing in case you did something worse to me or mom"

"i would never hurt you"

"You manipulated me dad; i wasnt allowed out except for school. You made me feel inferior, unsure of myself and isolated from everyone. Th worse thing is you stopped me from knowing my Auntie rachel; actually no, the worse thing is knowing mom died without having the chance to make up with her sister and i will never forgive you for that"

"And neither with i; my family has been destroyed by you; and your mom, she was devestated when she found out what her son was truly like, she blames herself" Rachel added.

"I..."

"You know what dad? i cant wait for the trial in five months so i can stand up and tell everyone what you did; i hate you and when you go down, i never, ever want to see you again"

Nikki stood up and stormed out, slamming the door as she left; Rachel followed and led Nikki home. They sat up to the table with a drink as Rachel put her hand upon Nikki's; when she looked up, she noticed he tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Hey, it's okay" she said as they stood up before Rachel wrapped her arms around her; she kissed her forehead and ran her fingers through her hair. "I'm gonna get you through this; one way or another"

Nikki snuggled against her and cried; later than evening, Nikki awoke in her bed as Rachel came in, sat at the side of her and put a drink on the bedside table.

"I knew letting you see your dad was a bad ide; you're even more upset"

"I'm fine"

"No, you're not; I've arranged cover for tomorrow so I can stay with you"

"I'm going in" she insisted.

"No you're not; you need a couple of days to process everything"

"I need to keep busy"

"Not in school you dont; been there isn't helping you, or me"

"It is" she persisted. "Auntie Rachel...do you think I deserved it? That I'm to blame?"

"No, you are no way to blame. Nikki, what your dad did, it was unforgivable and wrong. He should've loved you enough to know that he shouldn't have hurt you; he's the only one to blame for this, I promise" she said, taking Nikki's hand.

"So why did he do it?"

"I don't know but you're safe now; I'm going to do everything I can to help and protect you"

"I miss my mom; I miss hearing her voice and seeing her smile"

"I have pictures of her growing up: you wanna take a look?"