Chapter 16

The next morning, after getting ready, they headed to the school where they walked through towards the office.

"You sure you're okay to be here?" Rachel asked.

"For the first time in months, I think I am. Even if I only get through my lessons til lunch, it's better than not been here at all"

"Who you got this morning?"

"Mr Lawson and Miss Campbell"

"That's okay, they'll both keep an eye on you"

"I know but I think I'm okay" She said as they entered Rachel's office.

"Good, you know where I am if you need anything" Rachel told her as she hung hers and Nikki's coats up and sat up to her desk as Nikki sat on the sofa.

"I know; are you missing Tom?"

"Not as much as I normally do; going through this without him, I've had to cope"

"You had Mr Lawson"

"He's been great; it was nice having someone else to talk to"

"Yeah, I'm gonna find the others" Nikki said, standing and grabbing her bag.

"Do you wanna get lunch together?"

"I cant; I'm seeing Nan before she goes home, if that's okay?"

"No worries; I'm glad you're feeling happier"

Nikki smiled before leaving; Rachel checked her emails and sorted out her paperwork for her meeting first thing. She'd just stood up to grab a cup of coffee when there was a knock on the door; she yelled for the person to enter as she sat back down.

"Nice to see you back" Eddie said as he took a seat opposite her.

"It's good to be back"

"How's Nikki doing?"

"Really good actually; she's happier than I've seen her in ages. I'm waiting for something to set her off again; what did you say to her last night?"

"We just talked; like you say, she seems to be handling it too well. She did say something that was a little puzzling; something about doing her grieving already?"

"When she was at her moms bedside, she knew in her heart that she wasn't going to make it"

"Oh right"

"I have a meeting with the Governors; can we catch up later? Perhaps over lunch?"

"Sure"

When her meeting had finally wrapped up, she went through her notes in her office; so much had been covered in the short time that most of it had gone straight over head with her current state of mind. She jumped a little as a knock on her door interrupted her concentration.

"Come in" she said, knowing who would be entering.

As Eddie sat on the corner sofa and placed a brown Paper bag on the coffee table, Rachel put her pen down and joined him.

"What's all this? I was just gonna grab something from the canteen" she questioned as she saw the fancy sandwiches and fresh juices.

"Thought I'd surprise you; you've had a hard couple of weeks. Tuna mayo or cheese?" He answered, holding up the choices.

"Tuna, thanks" she said, taking the sandwich and eating, Eddie doing the same. "What did I do to deserve this?"

"Like I said, you've had a difficult couple of weeks especially with Tom away this week so with Nikki feeling a bit happier, it's time sometime took care of you"

"But you've already done plenty; you've been a really support this week. I appreciate it but I'm confused as to why?"

"Because...you're worth it"

"I'm your boss, course I am" she smiled.

"Not just because you're my boss"

"Then...why?" She asked, stopping from eating and looking up at him.

"You just...deserve a break, that's all"

"Nothing to do with you having feelings for me then?!"

"Sorry?!" He asked, choking on his sandwich.

"Don't you?"

"Has Nikki said something?"

"What's she got to do with it?"

"Nothing"

"You didn't answer my question"

"Rache..."

"Come on Eddie, it's obvious there's a connection between us"

"There's nothing..."

"Okay, I won't bring it up again" she said, going back to her sandwich.

"I do...have some feelings for you but at the end of the day, you're in a relationship with Tom and you have Nikki to consider"

"Eddie..."

"I shouldn't have said anything" he said, discarding the rest of his sandwich into the Paper bag, no longer feeling particularly hungry.

"Will you shut up for a minute?"

Putting her sandwich down and taking his hand, she looked into his eyes before leaning in and kissing him, hesitantly to start with before it got more passionate