Chapter 9

The next morning, Rachel awoke and got ready into her black trouser suit and red two layer top and her knee length boots; she put her hair tied back applied very little make up before going downstairs. In the kitchen, Tom was making her breakfast; she made a pot of coffee in the flask before getting her bag ready.

"I've made you breakfast."

"I've gotta get to work."

"Can't we talk?"

"I haven't got time." She said before leaving.

At the school, she sat up to her desk, head in her hands as she cried. She sniffed and wiped her eyes as there was a knock on the door and Kim entered; she sat opposite as she put her bag down.

"I saw your car in the car park; it's a little early so I though I'd check you were okay?"

"I'm fine." She sniffled.

"You look it; what's happened?"

"Doesn't matter."

"Is it to do with your mom?"

"No."

"Nikki?"

"Honestly Kim, i'm fine; hows...hows the preparations for the open day?"

"Really good; all coming together. Letters and flyers have gone out; departments are just putting together the final touches to their displays and the catering has been sorted out. Nothing to worry about."

"Good."

"You sure dont wanna talk?"

"Positive."

"Okay, erm, Eddie wants a word when you've got a second; if not, he'll find you later."

"Thanks."

As Kim left, Rachel sighed and wiped her eyes before reapplying her make up; she then went down to Eddie's classroom where he was setting up; she knocked on the door and entered as Eddie looked up.

"Kim said you wanted a word?" She asked as they both leant against tables.

"Yeah; how's Nikki doing? She didn't come back yesterday."

"She was with me; she was a little upset."

"No news on her mom then?"

"No, just a matter of time until she wakes up; Nikki's really struggling. She almost died yesterday by not eating or drinking anything until she was so dehydrated and her sugar levels were so low that she fainted...twice."

"Anything we can do to help?"

"We're already doing it by supporting her."

"And what about you? You don't seem your cheery self; is everything okay?"

"Not really but it's fine, I'm okay; just need to keep busy."

"Okay; I should finish setting up."

"I'll see you later."

As Eddie went back to setting up, Rachel left the room and heading back towards her office; she sat on the sofa with a drink as she looked out the window and watched the kids come in. She spotted Nikki with Ros and Chlo; she noticed Nikki was smiling a little. That was something, she thought; she sat up to her desk and pulled together a brochure for the open day, outlining everything.

A while later, she took a walk downstairs and stood outside as the students had their break; Nikki came over and stood next to her.

"Miss" Nikki said as Rachel looked at her.