Chapter 9: The Battle

Gu Ting Yu continued trying to find his way out, moving foward then turning back when he met dead end. He took a break whenever he felt tired amd quenched his thirst with the lake water. It went on for few days, to them point he has become more familiar with the forest routes.

At the same time, Bai Zhi Ao silently followed behind him. When Gu Ting Yu took a break, he would guard him from afar.

However, Bai Zhi Ao chose to deprive himself of food and water. He became weaker as the days passed. When Gu Ting Yu noticed his paled complexion and his staggering movement, he felt the unsaid words growing in his heart.

The cloudy weather above the forest maze mirrored Gu Ting Yu's depressed heart.

Along with the locust flowers' scent fading away, Gu Ting Yu finally reached the end of the locust forest.

Simultaneously, a thud came from behind him -- Bai Zhi Ao fell lifelessly onto the grass patch.

Gu Ting Yu turned his head back, witnessing the thin figure on the ground. He hesitate, but still moved towards the young lad.

Bai Zhi Ao's long eyelashes were shut closed and his breathing too faint.

He sighed as he wiped away the unfallem tears on Bai Zhi Ao's closed lids.

He knew that Bai Zhi Ao had not lied to him; he had never said he was a human.

Morever, that night when tje incident happened, it wasn't really either of their fault. Now that Gu Ting Yu had calmed down ans thought back, the real factor was the aphrodisiac fruit that they ate.

He was aware of the young lad's guiltiness. And he started to deeply regret the resentful words that he has said to Bai Zi Ao.

"Hey... I like you."

Bai Zhi Ao's confession flashed through his mind. Gu Ting Yu felt even more conflicted.

He quickly started up a fire in a pit near the younger man then left to find some fruit to eat.

Just as he was wandering around, he sensed something following him. Tree leaves and branches could be heard cracking and crushing along with the approaching sound.

Gu Ting Yu knew the sound was abnormal, he quickly turned his back.

The atmosphere went down dead silent. Gu Ting Yu squinted his eyes as he tries to make out what was behind the dense trees.

"B-Bai Zhi Ao?" he asked hesitantly.

A sudden surge of panic arose as he realized... it's not Bai Zhi Ao!

The air in front of him began to stir, then a black murky gas appeared and expanded. Finally, it formed an enormous blurry shadow that resembled a giant beast.

Gu Ting Yu gasped, retreating backwards as the shadow developed nothing but razor-sharp fangs and monstrous claws, its entire form surrounded by an eerie violet-colored aura.

That's the beast of death -- Yǔ gǔ.

The Yǔ gǔ let out a piercing howl, breaking the forest's serenity. Gu Ting Yu was too stunned, he couldn't even run away.

Suddenly without any warning, the Yǔ gǔ launched an attack on Gu Ting Yu, swinging his claws down--

Just before the claws hit, a flash white shadow blocked the attack--

"BAM!!" the claws emitting a decaying scent striked brutally onto Bai Zhi Ao's body.

Bai Zhi Ao's body recoiled with the impact; he rolled to the side till he hit one of thw locust trees.

As he tried to get up, blood cpuld be seen spilling out from his mouth.

He started intently at the Yǔ gǔ as if warning him that he's the opponent he should be dealing with.

Indeed, the Yǔ gǔ got distracted. It let out a roar at the white beast, the sound waves resonating in all directions.

It was a battle that couldn't be avoided.

The blow that hit the white beast caused grave injuries to his internal organs. He barely dodged the Yǔ gǔ incoming attacks, utilizing its agile body to get to its back for a sneak attack.

Bai Zhi Ao scolded himself for being so useless even though there weren't many creatures in this world were able to live after receiving such an attack and still surviving... much less to continue battling the Yǔ gǔ.

In this desperate situation, Bai Zhi Ao noticed Gu Ting Yu still standing at the same spot.

"Come onep Dashu... run!! I can't hold any longer..." he called out anxiously.