Chapter 6: Ripples

After making sure he covered every inch of the pale skin, Bai Zhi Ao lay down beside Gu Ting Yu, sighing softly.

Under the misty moonlight, Bai Zhi Ao had a troubled face as he observed the man whi was deeo in his sleep, he lost himself in his thoughts again.

Bai Zhi Ao was not a human being and he was not as complicated as what others thought of him.

In Bai Zhi Ao's world, like ans dislike were expressed directly, feelings like how he can't hold back the urge to kiss the man in front of him, and how he wants to keep him by his side.

"Don't proceed fowars... okay?" Bai Zhi Ao mumbles as he played with Gu Ting Yu's hair, "Old man, the incharge of the next palace, you have no idea how... . Please don't blame me for not telling you the maze's exit, I really don't want to send you to your death."

Bai Zhi Ao wrapped his arms around Gu Ting Yu as he whispered, "Please don't leave."

Moments later, just as he was about to sleep, Bai Zhi Ao sat up abruptly. He rubbed his eyes as he turned to look at the man who was still lying beside him. He calmed down and smiled again, "Please don't leave okay-"

Morning arrived as sunlight shot down, lightning up the earth. Gu Ting Yu woke up, opening his eyes slowly to find a pair of amber eyes staring straight at him.

"AHH!" he sat up instantly causing his forehead to knock into Bai Zhi Ao who had been squatting in front of him.

Bai Zhi Ao moaned in pain as he wrapped his head, rolling on the ground.

Gu Ting Yu wasn't any better as he rubbed his forehead frowning at the dull ache, "What are you up to again?!"

"Um... I'm just looking at you..."

"You... eh? Where's my clothes..." Gu Ting Yu finally realized he was naked.

Bai Zhi Ao straightened himself and responded attentively, "I washed them."

"... All of it?"

Bai Zhi Ao turned hid gaze onto a tree branch not too far away from them, it had a few pieces of clothing hanging off it. He answered firmly, "Yup! All- Of- It-".

"... ."

"Come on, Old Man, don't get angry, let's... . let's start a fire, then we can get the clothes dry. There's a lot of fishes in the lake, we could roast some fishes too!"

Out of opinions, Gu Ting Yu ripped off some big pieces of leaves and he wrapped them around his body, covering himself uo decently. Then, he picked up twigs and leaves, helping to start the fire.

Sitting across the fire, Bai Zhi Ao looked abnormally excited, "It's been quite some time since I last ate cooked food you know, I almost forgotten how it tastes!"

After he was done roasting the first fish, Bai Zhi Ao couldn't stop drooling over the delicacy. He couldn't wait to sink his teeth into the roasted fish. Just when he held it uo to his mouth, he paused. Then finally, Bai Zhi Ao handed over the food to Gu Ting Yu, "Here, you have it."

Gu Ting Yu looked at Bai Zhi Ao's struggling expression, it was as if he was torturing a child.

"... You can have it. Mine's almost ready."

Without further hesitation, Bai Zhi Ao happily found a corner as he munched on the roasted fish. He ate messily but has a blissful smile.

"It's delicious- - Hahahaha."

A sudden rush of unfamiliar emotions filled Gu Ting Yu's heart, just like the ripples on the lake as the breeze comes by.

And so, another day ends with them roasting their food and clothes. The sun sets quietly in the background while Bai Zhi Ao continues to chat away animatedly. As the forest dims down, Gu Ting Yu wasn't so sure, but perhaps due to the fire, it was not cold now.

"Bai Zhi Ao, let me repeat again, stop leaning so close to me, and don't..." halfway through his sentence, Gu Ting Yu felt something nuzzling against his cheeks.

Bai Zhi Ao was back to his usual tactics.

Gu Ting Yu shouted angrily: " Stop it! You're not a dog!"

The young man quieted down, then asked softly: "You... don't like dogs?"

Memories from his nightmare flash through his mind, the older male replied without any hesitation, "They're disgusting."

"..." Bai Zhi Ao lowered his head.

Suddenly, the fire was snubbed out abruptly- "Old Man!!" Bai Zhi Ao seemed to sense something racing towards Gu Ting Yu, he jumped in front of the latter, shielding him as he snarled at the pitch-black forest.

Gu Ting Yu had never heard a human letting out such an aggressive growl that resembles a beast's. The younger male started at the empty darnkness before them, "Hey Old Man..." the deep voice that Bai Zhi Ao spoke with completely conflicting with his youthful, innocent image.

"If... if it appears, I'll hold it back, you need to run."