Chapter 10: Gu Ting Yu's Secret

"Come on Dashu... run!! I can't hold any longer..." he called out anxiously.

In that split second of distraction, the Yǔ gǔ's claws pierced through Bai Zhi Ao's left shoulder; the infected the area, just an inch away from his neck, started to blacken.

"UGHHH!!!" he groaned painfully.

"BAI ZHI AO!!!"

The Yǔ gǔ was called the beast of death because it was surrounded by a violet-colored aura that ate away any form of life. Bai Zhi Ao was inflicted by it and the infection had seeped into his bones. Soon, he would die as his body rotten.

The Yǔ gǔ stopped attcking, choosing to observed its prey's last breath of struggle.

He could see with the corner of his eyes that Gu Ting Yu was going to come near him, Bai Zhi Ao clenched his teeth as he shouted, "Dashu... don't come near me!" If the man touched the decaying wound, Gu Ting Yu would get infected as well.

But it was too late...

Gu Ting Yu held onto Bai Zhi Ao dearly, embracing the beast that he was most scared of.

Bai Zhi Ao was astonished by his actions. But the moment Gu Ting Yu touched him, he felt the pain and exhaustion draining away at an alarming speed. All his senses started to calm down. Even more surprisingly, he realized his wound was healing rapidly- the wound that was infected by the decaying smell was now covered with faint white glow, swallowing up the daek aura, replacing Bai Zhi Ao's negative feelings with positivity.

On the contrary, Gu Ting Yu visibly paled in color, his entire being seemed to be breaking apart. Despite his body shivering nonstop, he hanged onto his consciousness.

Is this... the limit... he thought as he reluctantly fell.

The reason why Gu Ting Yu was called that Invincible Veterinarian was because he had the ability to sense the animal's feelings; especially negativity and hopelessness.

Once, when Gu Ting Yu was a young boy, he picked up a dying stray cat, miraculously saving it. That was when he started to realize that he was different from others.

He possessed the ability to heal any animal's wound or illness

As repayment, the wounds and trauma that he absorbed converted into an energy that Gu Ting Yu must bare himself.

That was the reason why he was always able to revive any animal, that was why afer every surgery, he would hide in his office, shivering in fear. Tne fear and hopelessness Gu Ting Yu took in would be converted to negative energy, ten times more intense.

"Dashu?!" Bai Zhi Ao realized that the man that was hugging him had now collapsed beside him, no longer conscious.

Sensing that its prey has regained life spurcem the Yǔ gǔ growled anxiously as he leaped for another attack.

Bai Zhi Ao gently laid Gu Ting Yu on tne ground as he turned to face his opponent-

Those copper-brown eyes turn into blood-red eyes!

This time, he would fight for Gu Ting Yu!!

As the incharge for the Maze Palace, Bai Zhi Ao had always been wondering about the meaning behind his existence.

But he forgot the great powers that he naturally inhibited--

Why do I exist?

What do I fight for?

What am I waiting for?

As the mist scattered, his vision landed onto the man that saved him when they first met.

... I fight... to protect you...

"BBOOOOMMM!" a powerful flame surrounded the white beast.

The Hound Deity awakened!

Bai Zhi Ao charged towards the Yǔ gǔ, punching its vitals with his razor-sharp canine fangs. The white flame collided with the violet aura, creating a sizzling, burning sound.

The Yǔ gǔ was caught off-guard by the attcking. For the past thousand decades, never had it met an opponent that could match its power.

It knew that it might not win, so it turned its attention towards the man that was lying on the ground. Its instinct telling it that this human is important for the white beast.

It dodged Bai Zhi Ao's next attack, then changed its direction, launching towards Gu Ting Yu. At that instant, just before he reached the human to tear him apart, a screeching howl came from behind!!

The white beast howled thunderously as he evolved into rage mode!!!

After changing into rage mode, Bai Zhi Ao leaped into the air, jumping onto Yǔ gǔ's back as his fangs snapped its neck apart. Murky black blood spilled out like a fountain. Yǔ gǔ never understood why it would be defeated by a simple canine. It dissolveed into a puddle of black fog, scattering away with the wind.

The white beast panted heavily as he turned his blood-red eyes onto Gu Ting Yu. Bai Zhi Ao used his last ounce of strength to force himself back to human form.

He crawled to Gu Ting Yu's side, pulling the man into his embrace.

"Hey Dashu..." he muttered.

"Come on..." he repeated, "Come on Dashu... uhhhhh"

"Hey Dashu... I... I'm not that useless, right?"

The young lad could barely hold himself up. He gently pecked on Gu Ting Yu's lips then slipped into unconscious.

Lying in the arms of Bai Zhi Ao, Gu Ting Yu's eyes fluttered open. He paused as he moved his fingers to the lips that were kissed by the young lad.