chapter twenty-five

"What are you doing here, Tommy?" Rosie asked, swiftly pushing him out of the door before her parents heard the commotion. Luckily, they had eaten half of their body weight in food and were drifting off on the sofa. Tommy and Rosie were only a couple of months into their relationship, so she hadn't expected him to turn up on Christmas Day in the freezing cold snow. "Jesus Christ," she muttered as the cold quickly rushed over her small frame.

Tommy shrugged his shoulders before nodding towards the shed, his hands deep in his trouser pockets to keep them warm. "I have your Christmas present and I couldn't want any longer, no matter how hard I tried. A part of me was going to wait until we next saw each other but that's days away, Rosie."

"Come on," she whispered before pushing him towards the shed that had become their haven. It was no warmer inside of the shed and Rosie could feel the hairs on her arms stand up from the harsh temperature. Tommy walked forward until he was directly in front of Rosie, his body pressed against her own. Due to the height distance, Tommy was looking down at her as he dived into his pocket to dig out the present. After a few moments, his face turned to panic, and his hand movements became more rapid. "Are you alright, Tommy?" she asked, watching as he hastily ran his hand over the suit.

He took a deep breath before rubbing his hand over his face. "I've fucking forgot the present."

Rosie couldn't help but let out of a loud laugh. He had travelled a good hour in the snow to deliver the present, only to forget it. "Oh, don't worry about it." Rosie placed her hand on Tommy's cheek when he looked down at the ground in humiliation. "I can wait."

"I didn't want to bloody wait, Rosie. I was so excited to see your face when I gave it you – "

"Tommy, you being here is the best present that I could have asked for," she interrupted, gliding her thumb along his cheekbones. "You can see my reaction on New Years Eve when you take me dancing in London."

"You don't ask for much, do you?" Tommy smirked, his bad mood vanishing. "I don't mind though, my darling. I'd get you everything you wanted, all you have to do is ask."

Rosie chuckled softly before resting her forehead on Tommy's chest. "Is Christmas making you a hopeless romantic?" she asked.

Tommy rolled his eyes. "I'm always a hopeless romantic. Anyway, are you having a nice Christmas?" he questioned, his chin placed on top of Rosie's pinned hair.

"It's got a whole lot better now that you are here. What about you?"

"John and Arthur are pissed already and singing some Christmas carols. Finn is happily playing with Ada and I think Polly is on the verge of a breakdown because of the turkey. I've never heard her shout and swear so much."

"Sounds eventful and much more interesting than my day. Father was talking about you yesterday, I overheard the conversation. He said something about how the business deal is coming to an end and after the New Year, there will no more meetings between the two of you. My heart dropped when I heard the words through the door."

"Why, love?" Tommy moved away and grabbed hold of Rosie's chin gently, forcing her to look at him.

"I won't be seeing you as much." She shrugged her shoulder, almost feeling stupid and obsessive. Tommy's short laugh didn't help the embarrassment and the rose blush that was plastered onto her cheeks.