chapter thirty-two

It was over a week later that Rosie saw Tommy again. When he had spoken to her over the phone, a part of him was filled with contentment at seeing her again and for an honest moment, he believed that Rosie had forgiven him for his wicked act that had led to the end of their once wonderful relationship. Of course, when Tommy invited Rosie around to the house in a calm manner, he hadn't expected her to storm straight in and begin screaming almost instantly.

"Don't you roll your eyes at me," Rosie shouted, the palm of her hand beating the wooden desk. "Campbell has given the club back to Sabini, smashed the place to fucking pieces and Lauren was hurt in the process. Do you care to explain?"

Tommy looked up at Rosie and started to speak, but his voice failed him and instead, he remained engrossed in her beauty. "I, erm, no."

"You promised to have men down there at all times, keeping an eye on the place. Did you know that Alfie fucking Solomons was lurking around the club a few months ago?" Rosie paused and scoffed. "No, you probably didn't. You were too busy thinking about going and seeing Grace, wasn't you?"

Tommy exhaled loudly before reaching over the desk and grabbing Rosie's hands. "I wanted to talk to you about that."

Rosie tilted her head to the side before ripping her hands away from Tommy's, the touch of his skin on hers making her less angry by the second which she didn't want. Rosie was furious, past the point of rage but every time she looked at Tommy, or even thought about him, a sense of guilt rushed over her. She had no reason to feel responsibility; Tommy was the one in the wrong. However, she could see that he was sincerely apologetic for what he had done, and she was completely blanking his request for forgiveness and screaming in his face instead.

"I don't want to talk to you about it, Tommy. Like I said, I'm done, and I am not being the second woman in this relationship. If you love Grace then be with her, I'm not going to stop - "

"I don't want to be with Grace," he interrupted through gritted teeth. Tommy had stood up at the point and was slightly bent of the desk with his palms laid flat against the cool surface. Rosie was stood directly in front of him with an attitude that Tommy hated. "I don't like seeing you upset, especially when I am responsible for it. Can we talk about this in private when we are away from everyone in this fucking betting shop?"

Rosie scrunched her nose up already looking in the completely opposite direction before debating the idea. It would have been nice to get things out in the open, but Rosie didn't know if she was willing to do it yet.

"I am not ready to talk to you about the situation because I know all of your tricks, Thomas." Rosie raised both eyebrows before crossing her arms over her chest. Her body language was supposed to come across as menacing but Tommy just looked at Rosie with sorrow, annoyed that he had fucked up.

"Where are you staying?"

It was a question that Rosie had been waiting to hear. From the moment she had walked into Tommy's office, she could sense the tension and could read him like a book. He didn't want her to go back to the brothel, it was his biggest fear. Rosie was almost insulted at the question, even though she did expect it to come out of his mouth at one point, but she remained calm and choose not to kick off with him.

"I'm staying with in a bed and breakfast down on Chelsea Street. The business is paying for everything, not me. Therefore, I don't need any money which means that I am not fucking random men," she answered, her voice laced with poison. "I also have some money saved over from my time in London which will get me through the next few months until I am able to get a job."