Tying The Knot

Next Day: Brook's POV

"Wake up, wake up, wake up!"
President Penia, or so everyone says that's her name, called.

I jumped out of bed and put on my training suit.

My weapons of choice were bow and arrows and knives.

I walked into the kitchen and ate breakfast like everyone else.
I was silent.

"So Brook..." Penia said.
"Got any-"

"Where's our mentor?"
Our mentor, Hayden Palms, a thirty year old man, winner of the 36th Hunger Games was suppose to be our mentor.

"There's been a change of plans." Penia said.
"This generous young boy from District 4, seventeen years old, I think, offered to switch with Hayden. I don't know why, he just offered. Hayden doesn't like kids under the age of 16 so I guess it's good on his part."

I quickly asked, "who is he?"

Penia ponied to the door.
"See for yourself."

My heart stopped.
"Finnick!" I said, before I could stop myself.

"You know each other?"
Penia asked. Everything was silent.

"Oh now we know why he wanted to switch places." Ryder winks at me.

I shook my head. Penia and Ryder exited the room.

"So l...I hear you're going to be my mentor." I said.

He chuckled.
"I told you at the Victory Tour I would help you out if you got chosen,
didn't I?"

What? He remembered?

"Yeah..." I agreed.

"Figured I could show you a few trident tricks just in case the terrain is water." He swung around the trident in his hand.

I smiled. "Yeah, that'd be helpful."

"So, Westbay...you a hunter?" He asked me.

"Yeah, I guess. I'm good with a bow. And knives. I trade at the Hob a lot. I kill deer, squirrels, rabbits, and whatever else I can find and trade it."

"Trade it for what?" Finnick asked.

"Whatever I need at the time, I guess."

He smirked.
"Alright, well you better go test the weapons." He pointed at the Training Room.

I was about to ask if he's coming with me, but he read my mind.

"You have to stay in there for at least 10 minutes on your own so the Capitol can watch you, then i can come in and help you out."

I nodded. "Okay."

I walked into the room. Everything was white, black, grey, and rarely light blue.

I went to the bow station.
There was a screen that had options of beginner, advanced, and expert. I chose advanced.

The doors closed behind me as I grabbed my bow and arrows. I had an arrow ready. I heard something behind me and when I turned, a yellow pixilated figure started running towards me with a sword. The figure threw it but I dodged and shot him in the stomach with my arrow. The pixels shattered and disappeared.

More and more started running towards me, but I dodged every sword, knife, arrow, and trident.
Finally, after killing all of the figures, I walked out and placed my bow down.

The Capitol were nodding their heads as if to say I didn't do bad. Plutarch Heavensbee, head game maker, pointed to a station.

I followed his finger to where he was pointing and walked to the Knot Tying station.

I looked at the monogram in front of me as it told me exactly how to tie the knot.
It was hard though.

As I was about to loop another end, hands wrapped around my waist, finding their way to the knot.

Not knowing who in the heck it was, I elbowed them in the chest. Hard.

I didn't mean to, honestly. I just have quick reflexes.

They fell to the ground and my eyes got wide when I found out it was Finnick.

"I'm so sorry." I said, even though I let out a small laugh.

He stood up, smiling, but wincing in pain.

"Good for the games. But you need better ears. Look behind every minute. And I'm not joking."

I sighed.
"Why can't you be there with me? It'll be much easier."

He smiled.
"If i were in these games, one, we'd definitely be allies, but...only one could win, so..."

"Yeah." I said.
"Anyway, what were you trying to do?" I asked.

"Help you tie that knot. I'm an expert."

"Oh really?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"Oh really." He assured me.

"Show me." I said.

"Alright." He grabbed the rope from my hands and untied the one loop in it.
A moment later he started to talk again.

"This is the part where it gets kinda tricky."

He tied two ends of the rope together to where it looked like a lasso.

He tied the knot around nis neck, not too tight to lose circulation, but just joking around.

"See, it's good for...."

He hung the side of his head to the end of the rope, meaning 'hanging somebody'.

I nodded. "Funny."

He offered me the other end of the rope and I got a huge laugh out of what he asked me.

"Do you wanna take me for a walk?"