page 11

Happy Birthday

fluff, angst

A request from TenshiVermillion7

a / n : happy birthday to taehyung! i know posting it today is a little bit early but oh well

Today is the second last day of the year, one of the days many people are looking forward to. It is two days before the beginning of a new year.

It is also your birthday and your boyfriend's birthday.

December 30, the day when you and Taehyung became part of this world.

Your birthday marks the first chapter of your life. It is the day you were brought into this world. You were welcome with congratulations, smiles, tears, laughters and presents. You, like any other human being, are a gift to your parents.

Anyone's birthday should be celebrated. It does not have to be worshipped. A birthday should be remembered to reflect on yourself. When celebrating a birthday, one should always think of their parents and what they have done as children to the persons who brought them to life.

A birthday cake is not simply a tradition. It is to let you reflect on what good and bad you have done over the year. It is to let you think of the possible improvements and to live as a better person every new year of your life.

However, there are people who underestimate the purpose of a birthday celebration. You and Taehyung are an example.

"Welcome." you say to the fifteenth man who have entered this convenience store this hour.

You glance at your phone screen. It is ten o'clock and two more hour to the end of your night shift. It is also Saturday, December 30, 2017. The date does not have any effect on you because you have already forgotten your own birthday.

Your life in part-time college and night shift work has already erased any memories of your birthday.

"A cake." you mumble to yourself when a middle-aged man hands you a sponge cake enclosed in plastic container.

"It's not just a cake. It's a birthday cake for my daughter." he says with the warmest smile you have ever seen.

You smile genuinely as you scan the item.

"7,000 won, ajussi." you say with a smile.

The man fiddles around with the waistpouch and pulls out some crumbled notes.