T W E N T Y O N E

~ Daddy Issues ~
~ day 40 ~
• C H E Y E N N E •

I watch him stirring in his 2 day long slumber, wondering if he'd be okay, hoping we hadn't caused too much damage. My heart ached as I examined his bruised face. That night, I cried for hours and after he didn't wake up the next morning, I cried even more. I should have done more to stop them from hurting him. I'd already done enough by deceiving him.

~ a couple days ago ~

Finally done getting Joker comfortable in a pair of sweatpants and no shirt after taking off all of his jewelry, I pull my hair up and crouch next to him on the bed that he barely fit on. He was knocked out cold. For a second, I stopped to look at him. He seemed so peaceful when he wasn't being rude or vulgar, just sleeping. I press my lips together, wondering if I was making the right decision. Thinking about it, I was just sending Joker to jail, so I could stay out. If we both were supposed be in a corrective institution, maybe I'm no better than him. It was almost as if he were me and I were Bruce.

The door opens and I sit up, my fingers moving over the handcuffs that were cemented into the wall. Suki walks in, swinging a bat in her hand, Ace and Angel right behind them. I furrow my eyebrows, tightening the cuff around his wrist and moving to stand in front of the bed, somewhat protectively. "What is that for?"

Suki smirks, smacking the bat in her hand. "What do you think it's for?"

Without thinking, I shake my head and cross my arms. "You're not hurting him. I need him in one piece."

"Oh, we're not gonna kill him, Cheyenne," Angel sighs, rolling her eyes. "I need to know where he's keeping my money, my drugs."

"How do you think you'll manage that, Angel? Huh? He's out cold," I state, tilting my head. All I receive is another eye-roll as I reach for the bat.

"No," Suki sneers, snatching the bat from my reach. "I want my revenge."

"What are you defending him for?" Ace asks, her eyes narrowing. I clench my jaw, turning my head to look at him.

"I-I'm not," I sigh, moving past them. "I just want him in good condition when the guy gets here for him, but if you're gonna do it, you're explaining why he's beaten to a bloody pulp."

They're silent as I push open the door. Just as I'm about to step out, Suki calls out to me. "We'll be careful."

I shake my head, closing the door behind me. It doesn't take long for them to get straight to business. I hear them snickering as they torture him. My heart begins to hurt, knowing he's defenseless and there was nothing I could do. Beginning to hyperventilate a bit, feeling tears sting my eyes, I lean against the wall, trying to keep myself together.

This was wrong. This was so wrong.

~ present day ~

I step forward, watching him warily as the first sounds I've heard from him escapes him. I pull a metal chair up next to his bed before sitting, setting a water bottle down next to the chair, and taking his uncuffed hand in mine so that hopefully when he woke up, he wouldn't freak out too much. His hands were cool and ringless, which felt odd. I twist his arm slightly, examining his tattoos. I'd never seen the ones on his arms before, he was always wearing a shirt around me and even when his sleeves were rolled up I never paid enough attention. On his forearm his had the same smile tattoo that he did on his hand and further up on his bicep he had a robin with a knife through it's chest. I inhale sharply, knowing the symbolism of the tattoo.