Chapter 10

Thursday rolled around too quickly for Dan's liking. Before he knew it, he was standing in front of the door to the courtroom where his parents were. Ethan was holding his hand, their fingers intertwined as Ethan made sure Dan was aware of how much he supported him. Alice didn't think anything of it, assuming that Ethan was just being there for the quiet boy. "It's time." Alice whispered, sending Dan a supportive smile.

Dan blinked away tears before walking into the room. He felt dizzy but he didn't want to let that stop him from putting his parents away. He liked it with Ethan and Alice. They made him feel loved and cared about. He wasn't hit if he didn't talk or if he accidentally left his bag downstairs, he was just constantly accepted and loved. He was safe.

He now had control over his future and he was happy with that. If he said the truth, his parents would be locked away and he'd no longer have to fake smiles just to get by.

-

As Dan was reunited with his boyfriend and the person who looked after him, he couldn't help but cry. The tears just plummeted down his cheeks as he felt pride well up inside him. They hugged tightly as Dan sobbed out of sheer happiness.

Hearing the judge say the word guilty had changed his life in the best way. He was finally going to be free. He could be open about who he was as a person and he never had to hear his parents argue about him again. He was so happy.

He had a boyfriend and a new family and he was just so content. His life was finally complete.

-

Dan: Thank you for everything, Phil. You may currently hate me but yesterday my parents were announced guilty and so they're going to jail. This is all because of you.

Phil: Oh. Congratulations, I guess

Dan: Please don't be angry at me... I miss you?

Phil: You don't need me anymore

Phil: You have Ethan

Dan: But I want you too

Phil: I don't know. I still have feelings for you and I wish I didn't.

Dan: Oh. I'm sorry

Phil: It's fine. My heart just sucks so bad

-

"You alright?" Ethan asked, concern laced in his tone as he watched his boyfriend stare at his phone with a frown on his face. Dan held out his phone and Ethan read the messages, a frown then appearing on his face too. "You should just tell him to leave you alone. He's obviously making you upset."

Dan looked at Ethan and shook his head.

"Do you still have feelings for him?" When Dan refused to make eye contact, Ethan's thoughts were confirmed. "Oh," Dan went to lean his head on Ethan's shoulder for comfort but he was pushed away. "It's either me or him, you know? He isn't a good person." Ethan didn't really sound angry, just upset but it still made Dan feel a bit uneasy. He wanted to make his boyfriend as happy as possible because he knew all too well how horrible it was to be depressed. He wanted to make sure the people closest to him were as happy as they could be.

Dan looked down at his fidgeting hands before mumbling, "He s-saved my life."

"But he hasn't talked to you in days. You've been going through a really tough time with your parents and he hasn't even been there for you."

Ethan was right. Phil hadn't even bothered to ask about his parents and so he probably wouldn't even have known (or cared) if Dan hadn't told him. Maybe Phil had just been faking caring about Dan because he was afraid Dan would kill himself. Dan lifted up his hand and pointed at Ethan who smiled softly.

"Good choice." He muttered, leaning forward to kiss Dan who had already gone red in the face.

I hope you have a great day!