Chapter 1

I'm not sure how it ever came to this. It started out as him being the new kid in school. He was British and the girls all fell head over heals in love with him for his accent. I didn't really see any interest in him at first. To me, he was just another kid that ignored my existence because that's what people do when they don't know what to say to you.

Sometimes I got the, 'I'm so sorry this happened to you', or the typical, 'if there's anything you need' mumbo jumbo. Just because I have cancer doesn't mean I'm broken, it just means I'm sick. I've been sick for over ten years, so why was everyone still treating me like this? It's the reason I typically stay away from other humans.

Of course, I still have a couple of friends. One's name is Lee and she's been my best friend—and neighbor—since birth. Then there was Aaron, who has been apart of our group since elementary school. He just recently came out as gay to the entire school with a lengthy post to Facebook. He got bullied for it sometimes, but Lee and I usually step up and save the day.

Besides, no one wants to get into a fight with someone with an oxygen tank keeping them alive. That was about my only advantage in those situations.

Cancer sucks. I didn't think things could get any worse until I went for a routine check-up. I was on medication and I was taking them as I should, but for some reason, they just weren't working. So, the damned thing moved to my lungs. I have to wear oxygen tubes all day and all night if I want to survive. My lungs basically gave up on functioning themselves.

That was the first thing he asked about. His deep voice and accent making it easier to see why the girls liked him so much. Only thing was, that's all they bothered to see. What got to me was simply who he was as a person. He was possibly the sweetest, kindest person I had ever met.

It took me some time to realize it, but I loved him. I had never felt that kind of love before, so I wasn't sure what it had felt like or it even was. It wasn't until much later, when it was too late, that I finally realized what it was...

...it was you.