Chapter 1 - Breathe

HALF OF Y'ALL SKIPPED THROUGH THAT MF A/N

Evan's POV:

----------------------------------------------------

Breathe.

Breathe, Evan.

I shakily grab my suitcase from the 'Kleinman Mobile', swinging it around, accidentally hitting Jared in the process.

"O-Oh God! Jared I'm so sorry! I-I didn't see where I was going and-"

Breathe, Evan.

"-and I should have looked around before I grabbed it and I hope you don't get a bruise depending on where I hit you and do you know that I once read that if you're hit in the knees hard enough th-then you will experience symptoms of–um..." I'm cut off before I can continue my ramble, my friend-

family friend

-putting his hand on my shoulder, getting his sparkly bathbomb-dust covered fingers all over my favorite polo, making me cringe at the dewy and sweet smell that I had to put up with for the entire, agonizing, car ride.

"Look, Dude, it's okay." Jared sincerely remarks, confusing me in the process.

Where is his sarcastic comment? Why isn't he calling me an asshole? Is this a joke?

What is he doing?

Jared notices my confused expression, causing his face to mirror the same.

He uncomfortably chuckles, unsure what to do in what will probably be our last moments together for a while.

What the hecking spruce am I supposed to say to him now?

My eyes peer down to my sparkly, faintly-green shoulder, and Jared's eyes follow mine, neither one of us making a sound.

Jared's opposite, clean, hand slowly reaches up towards me, his fingers almost trembling, as if he was about to touch something that could break at any moment; something that he treasures too much to lose.

That can't be me, can it?

What do I do?

Should I just stand here?

Should I push him away?

What is he going to do?

Am I being weird?

After what feels like forever, his fingers brush up against my shoulder.

His touch is soft, warm, unlike the previous contact that Jared and I have had before, where his daily "light" punches and attitude were more rough and almost harsh; quite like his behavior towards me.

He lightly dusts the sparkly powder from the material, making the shining specks disappear.

"I know how much you love this shirt.", he mumbles as his hand retreats back to the safety of his other hand, and he immediately starts to fidget with his fingers.

I never noticed he did that.

Funny, I do it too.

I rapidly nod, blinking; still trying to convince myself that this is happening.

"Um, t-thanks, Jared." I manage to say, resurfacing from the awkward moment.

Not that I'm attracted to Jared or anything.

It just feels like we are finally connecting.

And I hate it.

I hate that it is now instead of years ago. I hate that I'm leaving and that this is the moment when we are finally bonding.