Chapter 3 - Finally

i'm wearing a blue crochet sweater and i feel like a ceRTAIN BLUE-LOVING TREE BOI

there are swears in this chapter btw ok

and i said i would update yesterday but oops sry

------------------------

Evan's POV, earlier that day, in the Heere household

-----------

"So... Evan," my new step-brother starts, "um... what's up?" he says in a forced deep voice.

I hear a laugh coming from the front door and I turn around to see a boy our age wearing an awesome red sweater with PacMan and David Bowie patches on it; to name a few.

"Stop trying to be cool Jere," He snorts, "we both know that you aren't that swagger. Leave that to Rich."

"Hi Michael." Jeremy retorts while rolling his eyes.

"Hola." He responded, slapping Jeremy on the back.

"O-oh! Um, hi–" I attempt to stutter out, but not before Jeremy cuts me off.

"Wrong language bitch, you're Filipino."

Michael looks at him while clutching onto his heart while he holds up a finger gun to his temple, pretending to pull the trigger.

I draw in a deep and shaky breath and I need to look away.

That's not something to joke about.

I look down to fresh cast on my arm; I haven't even had it for a week.

No one has signed it.

"Hey, Evan, right?" I hear Michael say.

"Uh, my name is um, Evan." I squeak; giving him a small awkward look.

He just gazes at me and cocks his head, eyeing my weirdly as I go pale, realizing that he already asked me if my name was Evan.

"Oh my god–yes i-it's Evan." I say a little too loudly, "Sorry I just–I-I didn't–um–hear...you." I stutter, in a panic to explain myself.

"Hey, man, it's okay." He replies, giving me the slightest bit of reassurance.

Breathe, Evan.

So, I just stood there, fidgeting with the hem of my shirt, pulling at the strands that were coming out of the stitching while Michael and Jeremy talk about... Apocalypse of the Damned?

"So, Evan, do you wanna come over to Michael's house with us? The movers are going to be here for a while and I keep on getting creepy looks from that guy in the trench coat." Jeremy laughs, "Like, fuck off dude, you're not J.D."

"And who the hell wears a trench coat to move stuff?" Michael added.

Wait, Jeremy likes Heathers? That's my go-to movie when I'm sad.

Which is all the time.

I genuinely laugh and I imitate Jeremy's words, "L-like," I hesitate for a moment, not wanting to swear, "heck off dude, y-you're not J.D."

I hear Michael choke on his slushy, "Did you just say 'heck off' instead of 'fuck off'?"

I freeze and my mind starts racing.

Oh my god.

Do they think I'm weak?

Do they think I'm lame?

Do they not know what 'heck' means?

Is that a bad word here?

Are they not going to be friends with me anymore?