10

My sister is home later than she usually is and she gives Roni and I a ride to school.

"What's bothering you Nyla?" Malia calls of to me.

I guess she can see that I am deep in thought. I wish I could magically write my problems out on my forehead so I don't have to say it out loud again.

"Okay, I'm going to tell you this, hoping you won't say anything to anyone else. I trust you. Only Roni knows this but I like Reese from school, and yes, Reese the girl. I also like Steven and I'm going to the dance with him. I am just as confused as you may be but this is me." I say it so fast I have lost my breath.

"I'm not confused about this little sis. You can like who you like and I'll love you just as I did before. Don't worry, I won't say anything about this to anyone. You just keep living your life and don't apologize about any of it. Okay?" Malia responds.

I nod my head and hug my sister.

She drops us off in front of the school and heads back home. I never thought seeing Steven after what happened yesterday would make me nervous, but the thought of it does.

"You're brave, kid." Roni tells me as we walk into the school.

Standing next to my locker is Steven and his best friend, Drew. I've known Drew since middle school, there's always something to talk about when we get together.

"Hi." My voice goes higher than it normally does.

"Hey." They greet me back.

Drew was absent from school yesterday but I'm sure everyone has filled him in on what happened and showed him many pictures and videos.

"Big plans coming up in about a week and a half I see." Drew talks directly to me.

"Yeah." I giggle.

"Who are you going with?" Steven asks Drew.

"I think I'm flying solo on this one." Drew says, not bothered by the idea of going alone.

A teacher comes by as asks to talk to Steven privately. Drew and I decide to walk to class together.

"Everything is changing. It's like all of us were in middle school yesterday, now we're dating each other and going to dances together." Drew starts the conversation.

"Yeah I know, we grow up so fast, as my mom would say."

"My mom says that all the time too. How do your parents feel about you going out with Steven?"

"Well, my mom is super excited. My dad isn't so thrilled, as soon as he heard the word boy his head nearly fell off." We both laugh.

"He'll come around, well, I'll see you later." We part ways.

The period right before lunch, there was a meeting for everyone who is going to be in the talent show. It was basically telling us the order we are going in and the requirements and rules. I get a burst of excitement inside my stomach thinking about it.

"We should all do something together this weekend. We've been friends for a while now but never really all been together outside of school besides in a house like one time." Ava points out.

"I agree." Arthur says dramatically. "Where should we go?"

"How about a movie then dinner? There are some good things out right now and we all love food. We could go this Saturday, my aunt is taking Nyla dress shopping and I'm tagging along." Veronica announces.

"Sounds good for me. I have to go to a few places that morning with my parents but the rest of my day is free. What about you, Arthur?" Ava asks him.

"My day is free. I can't wait." He answers.

I smile because of how lucky I am to have this group of friends.

In most of my classes, I've found the lectures to be pretty interesting today, which is probably a first.

In my last period, the teacher talks a little in the beginning for the rest of the class we have another worksheet assigned.

Ava and I are facing each other today so we talk while working. While talking, Reese comes and sits in the empty seat next to Ava. Did I mention I practically passed out? Not really but it felt like it.

"Hey, sorry for interrupting but I have something to ask and if I wait, then I might change my mind." She starts off.

Ava nods her head and I'm frozen in place.

"Well, the dance is really soon and I want to ask someone but I'm completely chicken. I noticed today that Nyla was talking to the person I wanted to ask." She looks at me and smiles.

"Drew?" I managed to get his name out.

"Yes, I think him and I would have a really fun time together. I've always been shy around him but I'm ready to actually have a real conversation with him. I just wanted to know if you would talk to him for me? Maybe see if he's going to the dance with anyone but please don't be direct about it. I don't want him to know I'm going to ask him until I do." She is really set on asking him.

"Okay, I'll talk to him and he's not going with anyone. He told me that this morning. I think he'd love to go with you. I'll let you know what he says tomorrow." I tell her and her face lights up.

"Thank you so much. I can't believe I coughed up the courage to do this. Instead of waiting until tomorrow, can you message me on Instagram after you talk to him? I am really impatient."

"Uh, sure. I'll DM you." I assure her that I'm going to follow through with this.

"Aw, that's sweet. I think it's awesome that she's going to ask him out." Ava says after Reese leaves.

"I know they'd be so cute together." I try to cover up my emotions.

When the bell rings I go and find Drew. I talk to him about the dance and everything Reese wanted me to. He's open to going to the dance with a date and completely fine if he doesn't.

By the time I get home, I completely exhausted, at least I think I am. I was completely fine up until that talk.

I'm happy that Drew will have someone to go with and I'm happy that Reese wants to ask him but I don't know why I feel the opposite of happy.

I message Reese about an hour after I get home. She is excited to hear what I have to say. She plans on asking him tomorrow at school.

The rest of the night was not interesting at all. I'm just happy tomorrow is Friday. There is so much happening this weekend and a great distraction from my feelings for a while.