12

Today, I finally get to go try on about a dozen beautiful dresses and I am elated. By ten o'clock we are off to our local dress shop.  They lady who works there greets us immediately. There is only a couple of other people here which is a relief. This shop isn't that big to begin with.

"What colors do you girls have in mind?" My mom asks us.

"I have no idea." Roni answers as she shuffles through the racks.

"Well, you girls can get any dress you want but it can't be too short, too revealing or too tight. You know the rules."

"We know, we know." I tell her.

My dad would never let us walk out of the house in a dress that he thought was inappropriate. Although Veronica is his niece in law he is still protective over her too. She's his family too.

All three of us are on different sides of the store. I wish Malia could have been here too but her boyfriend is in town from college and they're spending as much time together as possible.

"Oh, that is gorgeous!" My mom shouts from the opposite side of the shop.

She pulls out a beautiful long violet dress. It's perfect for Roni.

"You have to try it on Roni." My mom tells her.

"Yes! Do it, that dress was made for you." I chime in.

She looks at us like we have two heads each but eventually she grabs the dress and heads to the dressing rooms. 

While we are waiting for her to come out, my mom and I continue to look through the dresses.

Right before she came out of the dressing room, I came across a beautiful burgundy sleeveless dress.

It was just my size.

Roni walks out and I immediately forget all about my dress. She looks absolutely gorgeous.

"That's the one!" My mom says.

"I think so too. I would have never picked this color but I'm in love with it." Roni answers. I see something in her that I've never seen before.

"What did you find, Nyla?" She snaps me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, I just picked this up. I think I'm going to try it on." 

"Go for it." She reply's.

The dress I'm trying on is long, like Veronica's. My dad will be please with that. Veronica's dress is strapless but I don't think it will be a big deal, nothing shows and she really pulls it off.

My dress is high neck and when I get it on, I know it's the one. I walk out to show my mother and cousin how I look.

"Wow." They both say.

"I've never found a dress that I love this fast, but this is it." I meant what I said.

We take our dresses off and purchase them. It's pretty cool that we don't have to get them altered or anything.

In the car, I message Ava and Arthur.

Me: We've got our dresses and they are beautiful! I can't wait until Friday.

Arthur: SHOW ME NOW!

Ava: Me too. Send pics ASAP!

Me: I will... When I get home :)

Arthur: Tease.

I also forgot that Steven and I are matching, so I have to tell him the color of my dress.

Me: Burgundy.

Steven: Huh?

Steven: Oh wait, never mind, I got it! Can't wait to see you in it.

My heart flutters.

Back at my house, my dad is reading the newspaper at the table. Who still reads the newspaper?

He puts it down when he hears us walk through the front door.

"Alright, let me see 'em." He rubs his hands together.

"Do you want us to try them on or can we just take them out of the bag?" Roni questions.

I was just about ready to unzip the bag my dress was in until she asked that question. I'm starving and I just want to stuff my face.

"I would like to see you girls in them, you still need my approval." He tilts his chin up to the ceiling.

"Oh, Ezra hush. The dresses are beautiful and appropriate." My mom tells him.

I rush to my room because the faster I can get this dress on and show dad, the faster I can take it off and go put some food in my stomach.

"Come down together!" My mom yells at the bottom of the stairs.

I bring my phone so my parents can take pictures of the dresses.

"Look at you two!" My dad expresses his happiness.

I hand my mom the phone so she can snap the picture.

"I think you made very good decisions." My father tells us.

We finally get to take the dresses off, which is a relief. I hurry and get dressed and go down to the kitchen.

I make a grilled chicken sandwich and I can't wait to take a bite out of it. Malia walks in the door and mom tells her about our dresses.

"Aw, I want to see them." She wines.

"I'll send you the picture. There is no way I'm marching up those stairs and trying on that dress again today." I think my hostility stems from my empty stomach but she doesn't take it the wrong way.

"But I much rather see it in person." She looks at me with puppy dog eyes.

"And you will, on Friday."

I send her the picture and I also sent it to Arthur and Ava.

"Cuties!" Malia screams from the living room.

"Thanks, I know." Roni sarcastically shouts back.

"How was visiting your boy?" I ask Malia.

I could feel her blushing from the other room.

"It was great. I wish he was closer, but we can't have it all, you know?"

Trust me, I know.