Outlining Models [Photoshop]

Today we're going to be teaching you guys a fun little trick which helps fill up negative space in graphics, focusing especially on covers. This trick is awesome for lighthearted covers and is really simple and easy to do! There are several techniques you could do, but this is what we personally think is the easiest. 

This is the final image:

And these are the steps:

1. Open up a blank canvas with the dimensions of 512x800 (Standard Wattpad Cover dimensions)

2. Choose a model image and cut out the background if you need to (it is essential that the model is a PNG)

3. Colour in the background with any colour you like (but it has to be a good colour to contrast against whatever you want your model outline to look like)

 Colour in the background with any colour you like (but it has to be a good colour to contrast against whatever you want your model outline to look like)

(PNG MODEL FROM RAVENORLOV ON DEVIANTART)

4. Go to layer styles and select the stroke option

 Go to layer styles and select the stroke option

5. Choose a thickness ranging from around 5-15px and make sure the position is set on outside. Change the blend mode to Screen and be sure that the colour selected is black.

6. Click the little add icon to the right of Stroke. This will take you to a duplicate of stroke.

7. Change the colour to white and make the size double of whatever you initially made it. For example, if you chose 10px, it should now be 20px. Turn the blending mode to normal.

 Turn the blending mode to normal

8. Now you have your model done, add simple patterns or doodles around the model to continue to fill up space. I added some grunge watercolour brushes, which I will link in the comments section.

9. Add your title and subtitle and you're done! You can choose to add a light texture or PSD, but it's not always necessary. The font used was Amarillo and the tilt was gained through some basic perspective shifting (command/control + t)

If you have any questions please ask!

We are really trying to get this tutorial book going again! Also please note that it is very rare for one of our designers to just do this, but it is a great starting point for all beginners and can easily be incorporated into more complex works.

- Graphic Society

[Tutorial by jakepatt]